Ceiling Fan Wiring From a Wall Outlet
How a Wall Outlet and Switch Can Be used to Power a Ceiling Fan. Wiring From a Wall Outlet and Switch for a Ceiling Fan may be made with a simple wiring modification at the outlet which will change this but you it must be modified only if the new function will work for you.
Using a Wall Outlet and Switch for a Ceiling Fan
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Home Electrical Wiring Project – I am adding a ceiling fan to the room. I have a switch that currently controls one of the outlets in the room. I want to hook into this line so I can power the a fan switch. What I found is that the power comes to the switch from the outlet (1 black, 1 white, 1 ground). In the outlet I have two wires (white) and 1 black. Additionally in the box the other black is tied to 2 whites. I am totally lost. I can get the outlet to work but not the fan and visa verse. I feel that I need to do something at the outlet to make this works, but I am not sure.
Thanks for your help.
This electrical wiring question came from: David, a Homeowner from Surf City, NJ.
Additional Comments: I love your site. It has been very helpful on a lot of things, but mostly to confirm what I am trying to do. Thanks.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How a Wall Outlet and Switch Can Be used to Power a Ceiling Fan
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience and ability to work with tools and access to the wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done with a permit and inspected.
Wiring From a Wall Outlet and Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- Yes David, what you have discovered is a typical switched outlet scenario where the two wires going to the light switch are nothing more than power in and power out – no neutral.
- However a simple wiring modification at the outlet will change this but you it must be modified only if the new function will work for you.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- This switched outlet wiring diagram shows two scenarios of wiring for a typical half hot outlet that can be used to control a table or floor lamp.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Electrical Wiring, Switched Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan||Electrical Wiring for a Range Hood Exhaust Fan|