Ceiling Fan Wiring From a Wall Outlet
How a Wall Outlet and Switch Can Be used to Power a Ceiling Fan. Wiring From a Wall Outlet and Switch for a Ceiling Fan may be made with a simple wiring modification at the outlet which will change this but you it must be modified only if the new function will work for you.
Using a Wall Outlet and Switch for a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: Home Electrical Wiring Project – I am adding a ceiling fan to the room. I have a switch that currently controls one of the outlets in the room. I want to hook into this line so I can power the a fan switch. What I found is that the power comes to the switch from the outlet (1 black, 1 white, 1 ground). In the outlet I have two wires (white) and 1 black. Additionally in the box the other black is tied to 2 whites. I am totally lost. I can get the outlet to work but not the fan and visa verse. I feel that I need to do something at the outlet to make this works, but I am not sure.
Thanks for your help.
This electrical wiring question came from: David, a Homeowner from Surf City, NJ.
Additional Comments: I love your site. It has been very helpful on a lot of things, but mostly to confirm what I am trying to do. Thanks.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How a Wall Outlet and Switch Can Be used to Power a Ceiling Fan
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience and ability to work with tools and access to the wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done with a permit and inspected.
Wiring From a Wall Outlet and Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- Yes David, what you have discovered is a typical switched outlet scenario where the two wires going to the light switch are nothing more than power in and power out – no neutral.
- However a simple wiring modification at the outlet will change this but you it must be modified only if the new function will work for you.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- This switched outlet wiring diagram shows two scenarios of wiring for a typical half hot outlet that can be used to control a table or floor lamp.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan||Electrical Wiring for a Range Hood Exhaust Fan »|