Ceiling Fan Fixture Flashing On and Off
Why Your Ceiling Fan Lights are Flashing On and Off: When I turn on my ceiling fan the light fixture keeps flashing on and off, as if I am turning a dimmer switch high then low.
Ceiling Fan Lights Flash On and Off
Electrical Question: Why do my ceiling fan lights flashing on and off?
- When I turn on my ceiling fan the light fixture keeps flashing on and off, as if I am turning a dimmer switch high then low.
- I changed the dimmer switch with a lighted single pole switch 15A 120V, but the problem remains the same.
This electrical question came from: Edward, a Homeowner from Fords, New Jersey.
See more about Home Wiring for New Jersey
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Edward.
Why Ceiling Fan Lights are Flashing On and Off
- This problem is most likely due to installing lights that are too high in wattage.
- The only way to fix the issue is to install the right size bulbs as specified by the ceiling fan manual.
- The national efficiency code standards now requires all ceiling fan manufactures to install limiters in new ceiling fans.
- It basically cuts of power when too much wattage is drawn through the fixture.
More about Ceiling Fan Lights
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Bathroom Electrical Circuit Troubleshooting||Old Ceiling Fan Light Fixture Wiring »|