Best Locations for Bathroom Light Switches
Where to Locate Bathroom Light Switches: Planning the layout and design for the bathroom, the location of light fixtures and switches.
Installing Bathroom Light Switches
Electrical Question: Should bathroom light switches be located inside or outside of bathroom?
Application: Wiring Switches for a Bathroom.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wiring for the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The combo bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Notice: Modifying existing wiring or installing additional bathroom electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Where to Install Bathroom Light Switches
- It is best to locate the bathroom light switch just inside the entry door to the bathroom.
- If the bathroom light switch were located outside of the bathroom, say in a hallway, then someone may be using the bathroom and another unknowing person outside may turn off the bathroom light switch and leave the bathroom occupant in the dark, and we don’t want that to happen for a whole host of reasons, but most of all for the sake of safety.
- If the bathroom is small and there are limited locations for light switches, or the light switch will be place near the opening to the bathtub or shower, then the circuit will be required to be protected by GFCI.
- I have actually worked on remodel projects where an older home did have the bathroom light switch located out in the hallway. The solution was fairly simple, in this case the switch box was just rotated so that it was inside of the bathroom.
Electrical Tip for Bathroom Light Switches
- Plan the layout and design for the bathroom carefully, taking into account the location of light fixtures and switches, especially for smaller bathrooms.
- Larger master bathrooms require the same pre-planning where multiple locations for light switches may be required for entering and using various areas of the bathroom.
More about Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Lighting For The Home
- Electrical Codes for Lighting
- How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Bathroom Light Switches Electrical Wiring bathroom light switch, how to electrical wiring, install light switch, light switch in bathroom, locate light switch, location of bathroom switch
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.