» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Free Electrical Help
Bathroom Fan Not Working
What to Check When a Bathroom Fan is Not Working: Checklist to help discover the problem and solution to help get an exhaust fan working again.
How To Troubleshoot and Fix a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
[ad#block]Electrical Question: My bathroom fan is not working.
- Flip the switch nothing works. Replaced the fan with a new unit. Still doesn’t work.
- Wiring looks OK as far as I can tell, nothing seems loose or disconnected.
- Not sure where to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Patrick, a Homeowner from Edmonton-AB Canada
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Patrick.
- Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-conductive ladder and a Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the exhaust fan.
- Precaution: Identify the exhaust fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
What to Check When a Bathroom Fan is Not Working
Checklist to help discover the problem and solution to help get a exhaust fan working again.
- Circuit Breaker
- Make sure it is not tripped off. If so reset the circuit breaker.
- The Switch
- Is the fan switch working, does voltage go in and back out of the switch, if not the switch needs to be replaced.
- Exhaust Fan
- Does the fan motor spin freely. Due to the air passageway the fan motor assembly can get very dirty and require cleaning.
- Lubricating the Exhaust Fan Motor
- A few drops of light machine oil at each end of the motor shaft may be helpful as well.
More about Bathroom Exhaust Fans
- Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring Diagrams
- How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
For more information about Bath Exhaust Fan
Bath Exhaust Fan
Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
How to use Electrical Testers
Home electrical wiring testers are the sure way to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock. These testers are essential when troubleshooting a faulty circuit as well.
Licensed Electrician Shows How To Troubleshoot Electrical Wiring Problems with Wiring Diagrams, Photos, Questions and Answers.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Bathroom Fan, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for a Garage Panel||Causes of Lost Power After Changing a Light Fixture|