Adding Sub-Panels to Main Panels
How to Understand Load Calculations When Adding Sub-Panels – Adding any panel or sub-panel requires careful planning, however this practice is commonplace in most commercial and industrial applications
Calculating Sub-Panel and Main Panel Load
Electrical Question: Can you have more than one sub panel box extend off the main panel.
- For Example:
- A Main Panel box to a sub-panel box and a 2nd sub-panel box off the 1st sub-panel box.
This electrical wiring question came from: Calvin, a Homeowner from Glendon, Alberta, Canada
See more about Home Wiring for Canada
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Calvin.
How to Understand Load Calculations When Adding Sub-Panels
- Yes, additional sub-panels may be added to existing main panels, and to an existing sub-panel as long as the connected electrical loads are fully identified so that the overall circuit load does not become overloaded.
- Adding any panel or sub-panel requires careful planning, however this practice is commonplace in most commercial and industrial applications, but again, all of the loads are carefully identified to ensure system integrity is maintained.
The Following links will assist you with Adding Sub-Panels:
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
For more information about Home Wiring
Home Electrical Wiring
- Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
|« Why Dryers Will Not Dry Clothes or Produce Heat||What Type Of Wire is Allowed for Home Electrical Projects »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.