4 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
How to Wire 4-Way Switches: Here are some fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
Wiring a 4-Way Switch
Electrical Question: I have should have three switches that control the four can lights in the ceiling of my upstairs hallway.
- When I moved in only two of the switches were working and the third was not connected to the wires.
- The two black wires were connected with a wire nut and the two red wires were connected with a wire nut in the box.
- I purchased a 4-way switch to replace the unconnected switch.
- I cannot seem to get the wires connected to the 4-way switch so that all three switches control the lights at all times.
- No matter what I try there seems to be position that the switches get into that renders the other switches inoperable.
Background: Karen, a Homeowner from San Diego, CA
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Karen.
How to Wire 4-Way Switches
How to connect the wires 4-way switch wires so that all three switches control the lights at all time
4 Way Switch Wiring
4 Way Switch Wiring
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
The links below take you to full wiring diagrams with instructions that will help you identify the wiring method used in your home and assist you to wire your 4-way switch.
For more information about 4 Way Switch Wiring:
The Following links will assist you with 4-way switches
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagram, Helpful for Wiring 4-Way Switches which are wired with 3-Way Switches.
In response to the requests for this information, I have developed a comprehensive,step-by-step guide designed to walk you through the identification and wiring of your 3-way switches.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« How to Wire a Second Light Fixture in a Bathroom||Add a Switch and Connecting the Wires »|