Installing a GFCI Outlet Without a Ground Wire
Can I install a GFCI outlet on a 2wire circuit that does not have a ground wire? How to Install a GFCI Outlet Where There is No Ground Wire.
GFCI Protection Without a Ground Wire
Electrical Question: Can I install a GFCI outlet on a 2wire circuit that does not have a ground wire?
I work in a lot of older homes with a 2 wire circuits. Is a GFI outlet able to be legal on a 2 wire system? If not how do I make it work?
Additional Comments: I’m glad I found your site, I’ve learned a few things and refreshed on a few things.
Background: Donald, a Handyman from Lackawanna, New York.
Thanks for your electrical question Donald.
How to Install a GFCI Outlet Without a Ground Wire
Application: Wiring a GFCI Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Tool Pouch and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of GFI outlets that will be installed.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before wiring the GFI outlet.
Notice: Installing additional outlet circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical GFCI Codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing a GFCI Outlet Where There is No Ground Wire
- Yes, a GFCI Outlet can be installed even if a ground wire is not available in the existing electrical circuit.
- The GFCI outlet must be marked with a provided label that the outlet is not grounded.
- The GFCI will still protect the user against ground fault just the same.
- This method is legal and compliant with the electrical code.
- This is ideal for these locations:
- Kitchen outlets
- Bathroom outlets
- Garage Outlets
- Outdoor outlets
- PLEASE NOTE: Installing an outlet using this procedure will not create or provide a ground path for three wire grounded devices. This practice only provides GFCI protection against ground fault.
I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
More about Electric Wiring for GFCI Outlets
GFCI Outlet Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI
- GFCI Receptacles
- and how they are wired
Browse other questions about this topic:
Wiring GFI Outlets 2wire gfi outlet, bathroom gfi, electrical outlet, gfci outlets, gfi outlet no ground, how to wire gfi outlet, kitchen gfi, kitchen outlet, no ground wire, ungrounded gfi outlet, ungrounded outlet, wiring gfci outlet, wiring wall outlet
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.