Installing a GFCI Outlet Without a Ground Wire
How Can I Install a GFCI outlet on a 2wire circuit that does not have a ground wire? How to Install a GFCI Outlet Where There is No Ground Wire.
GFCI Protection Without a Ground Wire
Electrical Question: Can I install a GFCI outlet on a 2-wire circuit that does not have a ground wire?
I work in a lot of older homes with a 2 wire circuits. Is a GFI outlet able to be legal on a 2 wire system? If not how do I make it work?
Additional Comments: I’m glad I found your site, I’ve learned a few things and refreshed on a few things.
Background: Donald, a Handyman from Lackawanna, New York.
Thanks for your electrical question Donald.
How to Install a GFCI Outlet Without a Ground Wire
Application: Wiring a GFCI Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Tool Pouch and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of GFI outlets that will be installed.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before wiring the GFI outlet.
Notice: Installing additional outlet circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical GFCI Codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing a GFCI Outlet Where There is No Ground Wire
- Yes, a GFCI Outlet can be installed even if a ground wire is not available in the existing electrical circuit.
- The GFCI outlet must be marked with a provided label that the outlet is not grounded.
- The GFCI will still protect the user against ground fault just the same.
- This method is legal and compliant with the electrical code.
- This is ideal for these locations:
- Kitchen outlets
- Bathroom outlets
- Garage Outlets
- Outdoor outlets
- PLEASE NOTE: Installing an outlet using this procedure will not create or provide a ground path for three wire grounded devices. This practice only provides GFCI protection against ground fault.
Part Reference: GFCI Outlet
This GFCI Outlet for example, is compatible with this project:
GFCI Outlet, 15amp
I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
More about Electric Wiring for GFCI Outlets
GFCI Outlet Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI
- GFCI Receptacles
- and how they are wired
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Wiring GFI Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Kitchen Exhaust Fan Wiring||Wiring a Photocell for an Outdoor Light Fixture|