» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
You Replaced A Light Switch – Now Things Do Not Work Right
I replaced a switch but now some things are not working right, how do I fix this? How to Fix Light Switch Wiring.
Light Switch Wiring
[ad#block]Question: I replaced a switch but now some things are not working right, how do I fix this?
Tim, a Homeowner in Minnesota asks:
- I replaced a double switch for a light and fan in my bathroom and now when I turn off the bathroom light (only) it turns off all power to the adjoining bedroom and to the lights only in the laundry room that is directly below.
- The light is not working right. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?
Thanks for your electrical question Tim.
Skill Level: Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit of the light fixture and switch, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes, however replacing a light switch does not require a permit in most locations.
Materials: Make sure the replacement light switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
How to Fix Light Switch Wiring
- Tim, you obviously changed the wiring configuration when you replaced the switch.
- The following wiring in the switch box will need to be identified: The Source Power In, The Power Leading Out to other areas, and the Switch Wires leading to the Light and Fan.
- Once these items have been identified then it is possible to make the correct wiring connections.
- From what you have described it appears that you have wired the power leading out that feeds the bedroom and laundry through the bathroom light switch.
More about Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches.
- Describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
How to Use Electrical Testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety.
- Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Light Switch, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Grounding a Panel in a Detached Building||I Lost Power to My House How Do I Fix It?|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.