» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring Diagrams for GFI Outlets
Wiring Connections for GFI Outlets: Line and Load Connections for Wiring GFI Outlets.
Wiring GFI Outlets
[ad#block] Electrical Question#1 I have power to outlets which are now GFI Outlets, and I have power to them when I have reset and checked the breakers.
- Everything is wired correctly but after I have checked for loose connections and found none I still have no power to the actual outlet even though I have power through the wires which I have tested.
- How do I fix this?
This electrical question came from: Eric, a Handyman from Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Electrical Question #2
- How do I identify the Line side and Load side when replacing a receptacle with a GFCI?
- If I have 2 2wired in the box, how do I troubleshoot it to find the line side?
This electrical wiring question came from Matt, in Tampa, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical question Eric.
Wiring Connections for GFI Outlets
Application: Wiring GFI Outlets.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of GFI outlets that will be added.
Precaution: Identify the bathroom GFI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional GFCI Outlet Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical GFCI Codes with a permit and be inspected.
Line and Load Connections when Wiring GFI Outlets
- Receptacles that are called GFI, Ground Fault Interrupter, and GFCI Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter are the same and provide the same protection.
- The LINE side of the GFI Receptacle is for the Incoming circuit power.
- The LOAD side is the Outgoing power from the receptacle.
- The ground fault protection is provided at the receptacle, and additional receptacles and devices depending on the circuit wiring configuration.
- Make sure the GFI outlet Test and Reset buttons are functioning.
- If the Test and Reset buttons do not function then the wiring configurations is incorrect and you will need to double check your corrections.
- Make sure the incoming power source is attached to the Line side and the Outgoing wiring is connected to the Load side of the GFI Outlet.
EXAMPLE of the Line and Load side of a GFCI Receptacle
- The Line side and the Load is typically identified by lettering that is visible on the back side of the GFCI receptacle.
- As shown above with this GFCI Receptacle, yellow tape is placed over the LOAD side to prevent confusion, and the LINE side is open and ready for wiring.
NOTE: GFI Outlets Will Not Reset if the Wiring Is Incorrect.
More about Wiring GFCI Receptacles
- GFCI Wiring Examples and GFCI Wiring Diagrams
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
- Electrical Outlets
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Types of Electrical Testers
- Using Electrical Testers
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Replacing Wall Outlets||Voltage Feedback Causes TV Signal Loss Due to Possible Grounding Problem|