» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring Connections for a Tankless Water Heater
How do I make the wiring connections to my tankless water heater?
Tankless Water Heater
[ad#block] Electrical Question: How do I make the wiring connections to my tankless water heater?
- I bought an EcoSmart 18 tankless water heater. I’m installing it myself since the nearest available electrician is 2 hours away. I am hooking up the wires to two double pole 40 amp circuits.
- My confusion is wiring the unit. I have the wires on one color coded so I know which wires go to which breaker.
- In the Eco 18 there are two sets of connections. Breaker A has an L1 black wire and an L2 Red wire. Breaker B has the same.
- Do I connect the incoming red wire to the “red” L2 on breaker A or to the “black” L1 on beaker B? In the photo sent, the red wire is currently connected to the “red” L2 on the right but nothing is connected to the breakers as of yet. I just want to make sure it is correct.
This electrical wiring question came from David, a Handyman in Congress, Arizona.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How to Wire a Tankless Water Heater
Application: How to Wire a Tankless Water Heater.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Licensed Plumbing Contractor.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Water Heater, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Water Heater should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Congress, Arizona. A permit and inspections may also be required.
The Wire Connections for a EcoSmart 18 Tankless Water Heater
This electrical wiring project is about how to connect the wires from the circuit breakers to a EcoSmart 18 tankless water heater.
Electric Wires to the Tankless Water Heater
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- I bought an EcoSmart 18 Tankless Water Heater.
- How do I hook up the wires from the two double pole 40 amp circuits inside the tankless water heater?
- David, from the information you have provided, make sure to keep the wire sets from “circuit breaker A” separate from the wires from “circuit breaker B”.
- Each set will need to be kept separated to prevent mixing up the sets of wires.
- Attach the black and red wires of circuit breaker A to the corresponding terminals on the water heater, and the same for circuit breaker B.
More about How to Wire a Water Heater
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Sub-Panel Electrical Wiring for the Home
Electrical sub-panel wiring considerations for the home complete with pictures. Careful planning for your Sub-Panel with immediate and future load considerations will help you understand how to size your Sub-Panel. This information will help as you consider a Sub-Panel and its size.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Project Guidelines
Electrical wiring project guidelines for most any project you may choose to do.
Home Wiring Projects
Installing electrical wiring projects for safety and home improvements.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Tankless Water Heater and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|AFCI Breaker Keeps Tripping Off||How to Wire a Light Fixture Circuit|