» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring Ceiling Fan Speed and Dimmer Switches
How to Wire a Speed Control for the Ceiling Fan Speed and Dimmer Switch for the Ceiling Fan Light – If you locate this switch then both ceiling fans can be wired from one switch.
How to Wire Ceiling Fans for Speed and Light Control
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I am remodeling an addition that has two new ceiling fans in it.
- I am preparing to do the rough in wiring and want to connect both fans to a single switch that controls the fan and light functions with dimmer and speed controls.
- The fans would be at the end of the run.
- There are plenty of diagrams for wiring a single fan to a switch of this nature, and plenty for wiring a single fan to a on and off switch with a separate speed control, but none for two fans on a single fan/light control switch.
Thanks for your help.
This electrical wiring question came from: Eric, a Homeowner from PA, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Eric.
Wiring a Speed Control for the Ceiling Fan Speed and Dimmer Switch for the Ceiling Fan Light
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Important: The selected switches must compatible and intended for the purpose of the desired functions.
- Eric, the concern here is that you will need a speed control switch that will be rated for both ceiling fan motors.
- A dimmer switch for the lights will be available in several watt sizes.
- If you locate this switch then both ceiling fans can be wired from one switch.
- With a situation such as this it would be best to have a separate 3-wire cable from each ceiling fan to the switch box just in case the desired method of control will be changed,
- this way you will have options, where if you wire them parallel you would not.
- It’s always good to have a back up plan and cover your backside, if you know what I mean.
More about Wiring Dimmer Switches for a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I am installing ceiling fans (with light kits) in my newly constructed house. The electric hook up at the ceiling is pretty straight forward (black, white, red and green wiring in box) and the fan has black, white, blue (for light) and green. I assume I hook black to black, blue to red, white to white and grounds together. If wrong, please let me know.
The switch is a bit more complicated (to me anyway!). I am trying to hook up a single pole fan control and light dimmer (Lutron)…in the wall switch, there are two blacks tied together and capped, three whites tied together and capped, a single black wire, a single red and the ground. I am struggling to make a good connection. My little “electric tester” shows the two black bundle and three white bundle complete the circuit. How should I wire this to the switch so I can control the fan and fan light?
Thanks in advance!
Background: Kevin, a Handyman from Gainesville, VA
Thanks for your electrical question Kevin.
The Following will assist you to wire your Ceiling Fan and Dimmer Switches
- Electrical Wiring
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes
- Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring Diagrams
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Switch Options and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Does a Circuit Breaker Produce Power in the OFF Position||Lights Dim When Dryer Starts|