Wiring a Wall Switch to a Light
How to Add Electrical Wiring for a Wall Switch for a Light Fixture
Wiring Wall Switches
Electrical Question: What is the best way to add a wall switch to a light fixture?
- I’m adding a wall switch to a light that has a switch on a cord out of the wall.The switch is going into another box which has power as well with a switch to another light.
- I need to know if I should go with power from the box or from the light.
- Which would be easier? A detailed wiring diagram would be helpful.
- I would like to wire a single switch, not three way switches.
This electrical question came from: Michael, a Handyman from Newport Beach, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Michael.
How to Add Electrical Wiring for a Wall Switch to a Light Fixture
- Michael, you only need to switch the power or hot side, so a 2-wire cable may be run from the existing power source of the light fixture to the location of the new switch.
- The switch is of course is wired as power in, and power back out.
More about Electrical Wiring for Switches
Wiring Diagrams for Switches
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Make Sure Your Outdoor Lighting Fixture Is Safe||Christmas Holiday Lights and Voltage Considerations »|