Wiring a Wall Switch to a Light
How to Add Electrical Wiring for a Wall Switch for a Light Fixture© By: Dave Rongey
Wiring Wall Switches
[ad#block] Electrical Question: What is the best way to add a wall switch to a light fixture?
- I’m adding a wall switch to a light that has a switch on a cord out of the wall.The switch is going into another box which has power as well with a switch to another light.
- I need to know if I should go with power from the box or from the light.
- Which would be easier? A detailed wiring diagram would be helpful.
- I would like to wire a single switch, not three way switches.
This electrical question came from: Michael, a Handyman from Newport Beach, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Michael.
How to Add Electrical Wiring for a Wall Switch to a Light Fixture
- Michael, you only need to switch the power or hot side, so a 2-wire cable may be run from the existing power source of the light fixture to the location of the new switch.
- The switch is of course is wired as power in, and power back out.
More about Electrical Wiring for Switches
Wiring Diagrams for Switches
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Wiring, Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|