Wiring a Wall Switch to a Light
How to Add Electrical Wiring for a Wall Switch for a Light Fixture
Wiring Wall Switches
Electrical Question: What is the best way to add a wall switch to a light fixture?
- I’m adding a wall switch to a light that has a switch on a cord out of the wall.The switch is going into another box which has power as well with a switch to another light.
- I need to know if I should go with power from the box or from the light.
- Which would be easier? A detailed wiring diagram would be helpful.
- I would like to wire a single switch, not three way switches.
This electrical question came from: Michael, a Handyman from Newport Beach, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Michael.
How to Add Electrical Wiring for a Wall Switch to a Light Fixture
- Michael, you only need to switch the power or hot side, so a 2-wire cable may be run from the existing power source of the light fixture to the location of the new switch.
- The switch is of course is wired as power in, and power back out.
More about Electrical Wiring for Switches
Wiring Diagrams for Switches
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Make Sure Your Outdoor Lighting Fixture Is Safe||Christmas Holiday Lights and Voltage Considerations|