Wiring a Plug to be Controlled by a Switch
How can I have the top plug to be switched and bottom to be live? Wire Half-Hot Plugs and Switched Outlets.
How to Wire Half-Hot Plugs and Switched Outlets
Electrical Question: How can I have the top plug to be switched and bottom to be live?
- I have a switch in a bedroom with three outlets which does not seem to have a purpose.
- The top and bottom plugs on all three outlets are hot with the switch in on or off position.
- The top and bottom plugs all remained hot even after disconnecting the Red and Black wires from the switch.
- Additionally, the Red and Black wires at the switch tested hot after being removed from the switch.
- Ultimately, my goal is to have top plug to be switched and bottom to be live.
Any thoughts would help.
This electrical wiring question came from: Keith , a Homeowner from Racine, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical question Keith.
Half-Hot Plugs and Switched Outlets
Application: Installing Wiring for a Half Hot Switched Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best Installed by a Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Specific to the scope of the work and the condition of the home and project. Electricians Tools, including Pouch of Hand Tools, Power Tools, Drill motor and Auger Drill Bits and Extension Cords, and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the circuit power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before installing wiring or working or making connections.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have required inspections.
Wiring Half-Hot Plugs and Switched Outlets
- Keith, if the bedroom does not have a ceiling light fixture then the switch was wired to control at leas one outlet in the room but the wiring has been altered to make the outlets hot all the time.
- The outlets will need to be examined to identify the wiring that runs to the wall switch and then make the appropriate adjustment.
- The links below will lead to wiring diagrams that show how switched outlets are wired.
More about Wiring Half Hot Outlets
For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Apartment Keeps Tripping Electrical Circuit||Understanding Electrical Panel Total Amps »|