Wiring a Kitchen Ceiling Light Fixture
I bought a new ceiling light fixture for the kitchen and I need help wiring with the wiring: Wire a Light Fixture and Wall Switch.
Kitchen Light Fixture and Switch
Electrical Question: I bought a new ceiling light fixture for the kitchen and I need help wiring with the wiring.
- Once installed it I cannot turn off the light.
- This is one that uses two different 3-way switches to turn on or off the kitchen light so the light just stays on and neither switch will turn it off.
- I connected the wires as follows: the black wire to the black wire, and the white wire to the white wire.
- In order to get the switches to work was I suppose I have to connect black wire to the red wire?
This electrical question came from: Pat, a Homeowner from Georgia.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Pat.
How to Wire a Light Fixture and Switch
Application: Wiring Light Fixtures with 3-Way Light Switches.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure replacement 3-way light switches have the same amperage and voltage rating as the original three way light switch, and is the switch is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Wiring Connections for Light Fixture with 3Way Switches
- Pat, if the wiring at the wall switch was not disturbed then the wiring configuration in the light fixture box is incorrect.
- It is important to notice how the original wiring connections were before with the original light fixture.
- If the light fixture is not working then the correct wiring connections may be identified by using a voltage tester to understand which wire is the power source and which wire is operated by the switch.
- If the light fixture is on all the time then the color wire connection may indicate a connection to the power source.
- The wiring diagrams found from the links below may be very helpful to help you get your light fixture working properly.
More about Wiring a Kitchen Light Fixture
Wiring Diagrams For Light Switches
- Wiring Diagrams For Light Fixtures and Switches: Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches.
- Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
- How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Types of Home Electrical Wire
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Kitchen Light Fixture and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|No Power to Electrical Outlet||How to Convert a Switched Outlet to Non-Switched|