Wiring a Bathroom Exhaust Fan Light Combo
How to Install Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan – Bathroom Exhaust Fan Heater Electrical Wiring – The white neutral wires would be tied together at the wall switch box. Understand that this is a typical wiring scenario, however the actual wiring connections may be different for your specific unit.
Switch Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan light Heater Combo
Bathroom Exhaust Fan: Hey Dave. I am taking out a fan and light combo and I’m replacing it with a fan, light and heater.
- I have 12/3 and want to know were do I put the commons?
- I have a rocker switch for the fan and light and I want the heater on a timer switch I want to make sure I am doing this right.
This electrical question came from: Stan, a Handyman from Mishawaka , Indiana.
See more about Home Wiring for Indiana
Additional Comments: Love the site and tips.
Thanks for your electrical question Stan.
How to Install Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Bathroom Exhaust Fan Heater Electrical Wiring
- If the power source is at the wall switch then the commons or neutrals tie together and are not switched.
- If the 12/3 has been installed between the wall switch and the combo unit then because this combo unit has three switched functions then you will need an additional 12/2 cable installed.
- The wiring could then be where the black wire of the 12/2 could be for the heater function, which would be controlled by the timer switch, and the 12/3 could be wired so the black wire is for the light and the red wire is for the exhaust fan.
- The white neutral wires would be tied together at the wall switch box. Understand that this is a typical wiring scenario, however the actual wiring connections may be different for your specific unit, especially at the unit connections as well because some units have built in heat sensors which control fan operations to prevent the unit from overheating.
- It all depends on the specific bath exhaust fan and light combo unit you choose, so you must consult the installation manual and wiring directions.
- You may also see that the unit requires a dedicated circuit depending on the type of heating system the unit uses.
The Following Resources will assist you with your Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Bathroom Exhaust Fan Wiring
- Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan
and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams.
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
|« Power Adapter for a Nintendo DSi Video Game||Safe Locations For Electric Dryer Outlets »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Exhaust Fan Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area