ask the electrician
Electrician Training Electrical Certification wiring recessed light fixtures Electrical Wiring Electrical Troubleshooting and Electrical Repairs wire outdoor light fixture Home Electrical Wiring Diagrams
wiring home generator and transfer switch wiring a 220 volt range cord outlet Wiring for GFCI Outlets Wiring Outlets and a Switched Outlet Wiring and Installing Ceiling Fans and Remote Controls wire dimmer switch wiring diagrams for switches wiring a dryer cord and 220 outlet circuit breaker panel
Electrical Wire and Cable


» Home Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician

Why Kitchen Receptacles Quit Working

Kitchen receptacles typically do not need to be replaced if they stop working. Counter top receptacles in the kitchen are protected by a GFI device such as a GFI receptacle or a GFI circuit breaker.

Electrical Video #1

Electrical Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

Helping You to Wire It Right!

See more Home Electrical Wiring Videos

Check out my YouTube Channel, and Subscribe!

See the Electrical Wiring Video #2 Below:

How to Repair Kitchen Outlets
[ad#block]Electrical Repair Question: There is a receptacle in my kitchen that just quit working.

This electrical question came from: Cheryl, a Homeowner from Jackson, MI

Dave’s Reply:
Thanks for your Electrical Repair question Cheryl.

The Following will assist you with your Kitchen Electrical Receptacles

Electrical outlet wiring
outlet-wiring

Using Electrical Testers
digital-tester

Understanding Electrical Testers

When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers



The following may also be helpful for you:

Electrical Wiring Video #2



Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More

Check out my YouTube Channel, and Subscribe!




Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:

» You Can Avoid Costly Mistakes! «

Here's How to Do It:
Wire It Right with the help of my Illustrated Wiring Book

Great for any Home Wiring Project.
  electrical wiring  

Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring

Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handy Women, and Electricians
Includes:
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electric Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring Light Switches
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
How to Troubleshoot and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
NEC Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.



Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.

More articles about Kitchen Receptacles and Home Electrical Wiring:
« Previous Next »
Installing a Circuit for an Electric Stove Planning and Installing Lighting for a Horse Barn



FAQs Frequently Asked Questions and Comments

2 Responses to “Why Kitchen Receptacles Quit Working”
  1. Lou I says:

    One bedroom lost all electricity today when a high intensity lamp was turned on with a burned out bulb. This lamp has been working fine for a year. The room also had a space heater plugged into an outlet which has been working without issue for 2 years. The night stands each have a lamp on them which are switched by a common toggle. The circuit breaker didn’t pop. But it is working properly because I tested it (15A). I have looked at three outlets. One where the heater was plugged in and one where the lamp was plugged in and one which is switched. There are more including the toggle outlet. Am I on the right track with my troubleshooting? I’m running out of ideas. New York

  2. Dave Rongey says:

    Hi Lou
    First and foremost make sure this circuit is OFF before continuing.
    From what you have stated, you are on the right track. No doubt there is a loose wire, burnt connection or burnt splice at one of the outlet locations, either where the wires connect to the receptacle or a group of wires are spliced. Every once and a while the problem may be that the neutral wire of this circuit has been burnt and become disconnected back at the panel where it attaches to the neutral terminal bar. If this is the case the white insulation of the neutral wire may have discolored due to a deteriorating connection. This is easily solved by cutting off the bad area, re-stripping the wire and relocating into a clean unused terminal.
    Please be aware that I do not recommended homeowners do any work in electrical panels, where experienced licensed electricians are best able to identify and make repairs.
    Be Safe,
    Dave