» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Why Fluorescent Lamps May Not Be Bright
My kitchen fluorescent lights have dimmed down to the point where we can barely see that there’s electricity even getting to them…
Fluorescent Light Fixture
[ad#block]Question: Why is our fluorescent light fixture dim?
- My kitchen lights have dimmed down to the point where we can barely see that there’s electricity even getting to them. The bulbs are fluorescent.
- At first, only one bulb dimmed out, then a day or so later the other went. They are both operated by the same switch.
- We tried other bulbs, but they are all dim in those sockets. There are no new power loads in the house to blame for the dimming.
- They just stay dim all the time. No other circuits in the house are doing this.
Thanks in advance,
This electrical question came from: Dave, a Homeowner in Maine.
Thanks for your electrical question Dave.
Dim Fluorescent Light Bulbs and Bad Lighting Ballast
- Fluorescent light bulbs that are allowed to burn out in the socket can actually cause the ballast to burn out and need replacing.
- If fluorescent lamps start to burn out or flicker, then it is time to replace them, and always replace both lamps as a pair for a longer lasting ballast.
More about Lighting and Electrical Wiring
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
For more information about Troubleshooting
Repair Electrical Wiring
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Fluorescent, Magnetic Ballasts and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for Ceiling Fan Switches||Electrical Wiring for Trailer Home Bedroom Light|