Why are my Light Bulbs Burning Out So Fast
Why are my light bulbs burning out so fast? How to Make Light Bulbs Last Longer: The Quality Issue of Light Bulbs and Electric Power, Light Bulbs and Light Fixtures, Different Light Bulbs for Different Light Fixtures, LED Lights.
Problem with Light Bulbs or Power Quality
Electrical Question: I have had several light bulbs burn out in my house really fast, just after replacing them. What would cause this?.
- I had my basement finished and lighting installed recently. The job was finished a few months ago.
- Since the electrical work was done 8 light bulbs have burned out in my house. No breakers are ever flipped.
- The first one was the day the electrician installed sconces in the basement. He asked me for another bulb saying the first one was probably old. I have never had 8 light bulbs burn out in 2-3 weeks.
- I think this is highly unusual. I haven’t had that many burn out in a year let alone 2 weeks.
- I specifically asked the electrician if what is being done can hold the load and he said it can. I have gone through electrical inspections and have permits for all the work done.
I AM REALLY GETTING WORRIED ABOUT A POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL FIRE.
This home electrical repairs question came from: Kathleen, in Elyria, Ohio.
Thanks for your home electrical question Kathleen.
How to Make Light Bulbs Last Longer
- The Quality Issue of Light Bulbs and Electric Power
- First of all, I would think that if the basement wiring project was done with a permit and inspected then the electrical wiring has been installed correctly.
- Light Bulbs and Light Fixtures
- The problem with the light bulbs should be directed towards the light fixtures that were installed to make sure that the light bulbs are correct as indicated by the light fixture specifications.
- If the light fixtures and bulbs are compatible then make sure the light bulbs are a well known brand that has a guarantee.
- Different Light Bulbs for Different Light Fixtures
- When installing standard light bulbs a Rough Service type should be considered which is rated for 130 volts and has a heavier internal filament which will help the bulb to last longer.
- Heavier light duty light bulbs are recommended for ceiling fans where vibrations are produced that will cause light bulbs to burn out prematurely.
- LED and Energy Efficient Lights
- Advances in techn0logy have brought about several ways to save energy by installing a more efficient light fixture or replacement light bulb.
- LED lights are now available in a variety of light fixture types and retrofit kits that enable you to convert many types of existing light fixtures.
- The initial cost of LED lights may be more expensive than the old traditional incandescent light bulb, however the savings in electricity and the longer life of the LED light will more than pay for itself.
- Electrical Power Quality
- The quality of the home electrical power should be checked to make sure the it is within the specifications of the electric utility company.
- Any irregularities should be reported to the utility company so they may correct the situation.
- Poor power quality can affect many home devices including lighting and electronic equipment.
More about Home Electric Wiring
- Home Electrical Power Quality
- Electrical Codes for Lighting
- Electrical Repairs
Install Electrical Wiring
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
- Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Basement Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Upgrade Old Knob and Tube Electrical Wiring||Electrical Circuit Requirements for Kitchen Ovens|