Why an Air Conditioner May Cause a Hot Plug
Why does my air conditioner cord and plug get hot? How to Prevent a Hot Cord and Plug for an Air Conditioner.© By: Dave Rongey
Hot Air Conditioner Plug
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Why does my air conditioner cord and plug get hot?
- I have an electrical plug in the house that was super hot.
- You could keep your hand on it but it was hot, this was noticed when I unplugged the Air Conditioner from it.
- The plug gradually has cooled down but it is still very warm, so I can now keep my hand on it and not burn it.
- I cannot shut off this breaker because the other plug on the line, which is in good condition is now running the Air Conditioner.
- If I were to open it later after flipping the breaker “off” and tighten down all the wires that I see will this help the situation?
Thank you very Much.
This electrical question came from: Monty, from Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Thanks for your electrical question Monty
Why an Air Conditioner Plug May Get Hot
How to Prevent a Hot Cord and Plug for an Air Conditioner
- Air conditioners require a lot of electricity, and it is best to install a dedicated circuit for the air conditioner, especially if the 120 volt power requirement is above 7 amps.
- With smaller air conditioners the outlets should be wired using the pig tail method and the wires should not be attached to the outlet using the push-in attachments but instead the wires should be attached using the screw terminals.
- All of the circuit wiring and terminations should be snug and tight.
- Loose wiring connections can cause heating, arching and eventually this can cause a burnt and deteriorated connection and circuit failure.
- Many house fires start as a result of an overloaded electrical circuit which over heated.
More about Air Conditioner Outlets
- How to Install Air Conditioner Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets used for air conditioners, with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Air Conditioner Circuit Breakers
Air Conditioner Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring and air conditioners. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Guide to Air Conditioner Wire
Electrical Wire for Air Conditioners
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects and air conditioners with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Air Conditioner, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|