Why an Air Conditioner May Cause a Hot Plug
Why does my air conditioner cord and plug get hot? How to Prevent a Hot Cord and Plug for an Air Conditioner.
Hot Air Conditioner Plug
Electrical Question: Why does my air conditioner cord and plug get hot?
- I have an electrical plug in the house that was super hot.
- You could keep your hand on it but it was hot, this was noticed when I unplugged the Air Conditioner from it.
- The plug gradually has cooled down but it is still very warm, so I can now keep my hand on it and not burn it.
- I cannot shut off this breaker because the other plug on the line, which is in good condition is now running the Air Conditioner.
- If I were to open it later after flipping the breaker “off” and tighten down all the wires that I see will this help the situation?
Thank you very Much.
This electrical question came from: Monty, from Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Thanks for your electrical question Monty
Why an Air Conditioner Plug May Get Hot
How to Prevent a Hot Cord and Plug for an Air Conditioner
- Air conditioners require a lot of electricity, and it is best to install a dedicated circuit for the air conditioner, especially if the 120 volt power requirement is above 7 amps.
- With smaller air conditioners the outlets should be wired using the pig tail method and the wires should not be attached to the outlet using the push-in attachments but instead the wires should be attached using the screw terminals.
- All of the circuit wiring and terminations should be snug and tight.
- Loose wiring connections can cause heating, arching and eventually this can cause a burnt and deteriorated connection and circuit failure.
- Many house fires start as a result of an overloaded electrical circuit which over heated.
More about Air Conditioner Outlets
- How to Install Air Conditioner Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets used for air conditioners, with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Air Conditioner Circuit Breakers
Air Conditioner Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring and air conditioners. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Guide to Air Conditioner Wire
Electrical Wire for Air Conditioners
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects and air conditioners with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Air Conditioner, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Do I Need a Special Circuit for my Air Conditioner||How to Select and Wire a 120 or 220 Volt Air Conditioner|