What to do about Home Electrical Power Surges and Spikes
How to Solve Electrical Power Quality Problems: It is probable that there is a problem with the main incoming power from the electrical provider.
Electrical Power Problems
Electrical Question: For the last 4 or 5 days Ive been getting steady power surges or spikes.The lights will dim and brighten every fifteen minutes or so.
- I live in a 3 bedroom home that’s approx 25 years old, maybe a bit older. For the last 4 or 5 days Ive been getting steady power surges or spikes. It’s not in any specific area.
- It appears to be all over the house. The lights will dim and brighten every fifteen minutes or so. However sometimes it will be much longer and sometimes shorter.
- None of the circuit breakers appear to have or be tripping. Every now and again our (2 roommates) surge protectors will trip or power in any room will quickly go off and on.
- All outlets appear to be working. There are no GFI switches in the house. And even though it appears to be happening at random, it will also happen when certain appliances are turned on or off.
- Some appliances, specifically the microwave and clothes washer during the spin cycle, when turned on they will barely have any power. Microwave will be barely running (but it does run) and the spin cycle will barely be spinning.
- When I plug in, say the vacuum, I notice the oven clock will turn off (I assume the entire oven is off as well.) But it will return when I turn off vacuum.
- There hasn’t been any significant remodeling done any time recently. We did have a bad clothes dryer go dead and it was replaced with new one.
- I don’t have enough expertise in this area to know if we have a bad circuit breaker or if we have an open line somewhere.
- The electrical company will be contacted tomorrow, but I’m not sure if it is a problem on their end or if they will be able to help if its not.
Any suggestions on possible causes and solutions will be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Jeremy in Texas.
Additional Comments: Very nice and informative website. It has been bookmarked for future reference.
Help to Detect Electrical Power Problems
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jeremy
How to Solve Electrical Power Quality Problems
Electrical Power Problems with the Main Service of Utility
- From what has been described it is probable that there is a problem with the main incoming power from the electrical provider.
- The electrical utility company should be contacted immediately and notified of the problem so they can come out and check their equipment.
- If the utility company is not at fault then the main electrical panel of the home will need to be tested by a qualified licensed electrical contractor who will determine the problem and make the necessary repairs.
- Until the problem is resolved make sure to unplug any electronic devices in the home.
- Using any electrical device may result in overheating and or permanent damage.
More about Electrical Power Problems
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
For more information about Troubleshooting
Repair Residential Electrical Wiring
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Cause of Bathroom That Lost Power to Light and Outlet||Installing Electrical Radiant Heat Floor Mats|