» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
What about the old electrical wiring in my home?
How to Upgrade Electrical Wiring in an Older Home: The best way to upgrade the electrical wiring is to start with the safety essentials, such as ensuring that the right grounding system is installed at the main electrical panel. Upgrading electrical wiring should begin with the main electrical panel because this is the foundation of the whole electrical system.
Older Home Electrical Wiring Upgrade
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I want to install a new ceiling fan with light in a bedroom.
- The wiring in the ceiling is older black 2 wire cable.
- Although it has a ground wire, these are not attached at the breaker or fixture and outlet boxes.
- Would it be advisable to install this ceiling fan with this 2 wire ungrounded setup?
- The fixture and switch boxes are metal but I’m not sure it would help to attach ground to that anyway.
- If it won’t work or is unsafe to install with this existing wiring I’ll have to run new wire which will make this a much bigger project.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
How to Upgrade Electrical Wiring in an Older Home
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
John I know what your up against but consider this: Do you want this project done right or would you rather take chances?
- Electrical wiring is not something that you do just well enough to get you by. This practice always costs you more in the long run. Yes, older home wiring that has not been upgraded can present some real challenges, however you don’t need to address everything all at once.
- The best way to upgrade the electrical wiring is to start with the safety essentials, such as ensuring that the right grounding system is installed at the main electrical panel.
- Upgrading electrical wiring should begin with the main electrical panel because this is the foundation of the whole electrical system.
- Next is to address the key safety components for the home and its occupants such as smoke detectors and GFCI protection.
- Once this is done then your focus should be on dedicated circuits for specific appliances such as washers, dryers, microwave ovens and refrigerators just to mention a few.
- Lighting and outlet circuits are vital as well because of the constant use and our reliability of them.
Here are a few things to consider for electrical wiring and components of an older home
- Just because you see a ground wire it does not mean that it is connected, so it should be tested.
- Older metal ceiling fixture junction boxes may not be safe for ceiling fans. Most of these metal boxes were installed with nails instead of screws and the box itself may not meet the requirement ratings for a ceiling fan.
- If new wiring is installed make sure to bond the ground wire back at the panel. Never cut off a ground wire, instead the job should be completed by bonding the ground wire according to applicable electrical codes.
- Use a good quality tester. A good voltage tester is invaluable for testing ground wires and polarity.
More about Home Electrical Wiring:
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Wiring Projects
Installing electrical wiring projects for safety and home improvements.
Rewiring a Home
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Electrical Wiring, Safety and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire an Outlet for a Air Compressor||Why a Garage Lost Power to Outlets|