Upgrading Old Home Electrical Wiring
How to Upgrade Older Home Wiring: One consideration when upgrading older home electrical wiring would be to use Wiremold short box extensions and run Wiremold surface raceway electrical conduit between the devices to install the wires.
Options for Installing New Home Wiring
Electrical Question:I have a home built in 1948. It has two prong outlets. I had the outside and inside box brought up to code.
- The problem with bringing the rest up is that all interior walls are concrete.
- How would someone normally rewire a home and add outlets if the walls are concrete.
- One electrician suggested cutting into the walls horizontally along the walls.
- I thought that it might jeopardize the integrity of the walls. Most electricians laugh at me on the phone and don’t even give me a quote.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
This electrical question came from: Jay, a Homeowner from Fort Myers, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical question Jay.
How to Install Surface Wiring on Concrete Walls
Application: Upgrading Older Home Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and Ladders.
Construction Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing remodel projects where you may come into contact with hazardous materials and environmental contaminants such as fiberglass insulation, vermiculite and asbestos, molds or mildew, as well as dust.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of wall coverings and structural construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Surface Raceway Conduit for Electrical Wiring
A Solution When You Need to Install Surface Electrical Wiring is to use a Surface Conduit.
- Surface Conduit for Wiring
- One consideration when upgrading older home electrical wiring would be to use Wiremold short box extensions and run Wiremold surface raceway electrical conduit between the devices to install the wires.
- Firing Out a Wall
- Another possibility is to fir out the concrete walls and each electrical device box the same depth and install the wiring to the devices.
- Wiring Basements that will be Occupied
- When basements are converted to an occupied space the walls are usually furred out to allow for the electrical wiring to be installed.
- Local Building Codes
- Be sure to check with your local building department as ask them what is acceptable in your location.
More about Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Wiring Methods, Wiring Questions and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Question from Gary about Ceiling Fan Wiring||Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light Electrical Wiring|