Understanding the Capacity of Electric Generators
How to Calculate Generator Load Capacity: Basic Electrical Calculation for Watts, Ohms Law Formulas, I have a 3000 watt generator that I want to use to power a motor.
Calculating Generator Load Requirements and Load Capacity
Electrical Question: I have a 3000 watt generator that I want to use to power a motor.
- I have a 3000watt generator with one 120v 15 amp duplex outlet.
- One 240v 15 amp duplex outlet. It has 21.7 amps @120v and 10.8 amps @240.
- Is there any way I can use this generator to run this motor continuously.
- I was told the motor is three phase.
- Manufacturer Siemens
- Capacity Speed 3600 RPM
- Estimated Shipping Weight 1750
- Length 45 IN
- Width 30 IN
- Height 25 IN
- Voltage 460 VOLTS
- Frequency 60 HERTZ
- Phase 3
- Frame 445TS
- Horsepower 150 HP
This electrical question came from: Dardanus , a Handyman from Houston, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Dardanus.
Calculating Generator Load Requirements
Generator Load Capacity
The motor that is described cannot be connected to the generator that you have because the load is too great and the voltage is not compatible.
Basic Electrical Calculation for Watts
- One way to understand the capacity of the generator is to convert the loads into watts, which is volts times amps such as 30 amps times 240 volts = 7200 watts. This amount does not take into consideration power factor.
- All of the loads to be considered for the generator must be compatible with the voltage as well and in this case the motor voltage is 460 not 240, and the motor is 3 phase not single phase 240 volt.
The nameplate of the generator provides information about the load capacity
- 21.7 amps for 120 volt circuit loads (21.7 amps x 120 volts = 2604 watts at 86.8 % Load).
- 10.8 amps for 240 volt circuit loads (10.8 amps x 240 volts = 2592 watts at 86.4 % load).
- It should be understood that you should never load a circuit up to its maximum potential, 80% is a good rule of thumb, and we see in the above calculations that the generator manufacturer is allowing a maximum load of about 86 %.
- This same formula can be used to determine the load of the proposed circuits as well as the load capacity of the generator.
Ohms Law Formula Examples
- Volts (times) Amps = Watts
- Watts (divided by) Volts = Amps
More about Generators
Home Electric Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
- Generators and Transfer Switches
For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Generator Capacity and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Before You Buy a Generator You Should Read This||Providing Power for a Mobile Home|