UK 220 Volt Electrical System
UK Wiring System and Canadian Circuit Wiring Standards: I will be moving from the UK to Canada and want to bring with me some garage tools 220 volt.
220 Volt UK Electrical System Compatibility
Electrical Question: I will be moving from the UK to Canada and want to bring with me some garage tools 220 volt.
- Can I use the 220 volt system in the US and Canada to power my tools?
- We use only a 3pin plug with earth/neutral and live leads here in the UK.
- I know of course that the equipment would have to be re-plugged.
This electrical wiring question came from: Stewart, a Homeowner from Kent, UK.
See more about Home Wiring in the UK
Additional Comments: Just found the website and find it very informative
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stewart.
UK Wiring System and Canadian Circuit Wiring Standards
- 120 and 220 Volt Equipment from Other Countries
- There are several factors that will determine if an electrical device may be used in another country. The following will describe some of these factors.
- Electrical devices are designed by the original manufacturer to specifications which determine the compatible voltage. Electrical formulas and calculations are applied to determine wiring and circuit component specifications.
- No all electrical devices are alike, therefore each device must be carefully considered for foreign voltage compatibility.
- CIRCUIT VOLTAGE and AMPERAGE: Examples Based Upon Ohm’s Law
- The Lower the Voltage, the Higher the Amperage: 200 Watts / 120 Volts = 1.66 Amps
- The Higher the Voltage, the Lower the Amperage. 200 Watts / 220 Volts = 0.90 Amps
- As you can see in the above examples, the lower voltage will require a larger wire size when the same amount of watts is to be consumed.
- ELECTRIC HEATING APPLIANCES
- Appliances that are 220 volt that only have heating elements, such as a coffee pot should work OK as long as the circuit amperage and wiring configurations are compatible with the specifications of your electrical equipment, however the cord or wire size will most likely need to be increased when connecting to a lower voltage.
- INCANDESCENT LIGHT FIXTURES
- Incandescent light fixtures that are 220 volt will work OK, but the illumination or light output will be less. The watt limitation of the light fixture will be limited to the size of the fixture wiring which is based on the lamp watts and the volts, therefore the watt size of the light bulb is based upon the voltage as well.
EXAMPLE of an Incandescent Light Fixture with Wiring rated at .16 amps:
- The incandescent light bulb size should be 40 watts when connected to 220 volts.
- The incandescent light bulb size should be 20 watts when connected to 120 volts.
- ELECTRIC MOTORS
- Other 220 volt equipment from the UK may not be compatible with the Canadian or USA 220 volt system. This applies to equipment with motors or electronic circuit boards, especially those designed for 50 hz only.
- 220 Volt Motors
Electric motors that are designed to run only on 220 volts will overheat if the are connected to a 120 volt circuit. Exceptions only apply if the motor is designed for dual voltage, and are compatible with 50 and 60 hz.
- CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURER
- To be totally sure, check the specification label or contact the equipment manufacturer and ask about voltage compatibility.
- As stated in this electrical question, for the equipment that will be compatible, the cord plugs will need to be replaced with the equivalent standard found in Canada.
- The electrical equipment or device wiring will need to be identified for proper wiring to the new plug.
More about Electric System Wiring
Garage Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring
with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Tools Articles
- Here are the actual electrical tools I use on most all of my electrical jobs and projects.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about UK Electrical System and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring||Electrical Question about Reducing the Value of Ze|