» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Tripped Circuit Breaker and Lost Power to Outlets
How can I find out what has caused my outlets to loose power? How to Repair Abnormal or Lost Power at Electrical Plugs and Outlets, Home Electrical Testers and Electrical Voltage Readings, Plug-In Diagnostic Electrical Circuit Testers.
How to Fix Outlets that Lost Power
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How can I find out what caused my outlets to loose power?
I had a circuit breaker trip off which powers the bedroom and living room.
- I reset the breaker and now only three outlets work and the rest show that they are getting power when I check using a test meter.
- I can’t get any electronics to power on so I replaced all the outlets and still nothing powers on and all are still testing that they are getting power.
- The test meter I used is just a simple model that beeps and a red light showing there is current running to outlet.
This electrical question came from: Greg in Indiana.
Additional Comments: This is a great website idea, thanks for any help you may give.
Thanks for your electrical question Greg.
Repair Abnormal or Lost Power at Electrical Plugs and Outlets
Application: Testing an Electric Outlet Circuit for Electrical Faults or Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting for outlets is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor or local electrician.
Electrical Circuit Testing for the Cause of Lost Power
- It is very possible that there is a short within the electrical wiring of this bedroom and living room circuit. All of the circuit outlets will need to be opened and inspected paying close attention to the wiring connections to outlet receptacles and any wiring splices.
- In most cases an overheated connection or splice has become burnt to the point of creating a lost connection in the circuit. Once the problem is discovered it will need to be carefully repaired and any affected outlet receptacles will need to be replaced.
- This condition is best performed by a licensed electrician who will locate the problem and perform the necessary repairs to restore power to the affected circuit.
Home Electrical Testers and Electrical Voltage Readings
- The Tick Type or Audible Beep Electrical Testers.
The electrical tester that you use will be limited to the functions of the tester and your experience and ability to interpret the readings or results.
- The “tick style testers” which produce an audible beep reading are fine to test for the presence of voltage however, the actual voltage is not known, and the condition of all of the other wiring is unknown as well.
Plug-In Diagnostic Electrical Circuit Testers
- Plug-In Circuit Testers are great for reporting the condition of the electrical circuit and the polarity of the circuit.
- The various display readings that are produced from the display results of the three lights are very helpful for understanding the condition of home electrical circuits when simply plugging the tester into any receptacle outlet.
- Some of these Plug-In Circuit Diagnostic Testers have a GFCI Test Button which is great for testing any GFCI Circuit device.
See More about Electrical Wall Outlet Circuit Testing
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- Electrical outlet wiring
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Circuit breaker
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- How to Install Bedroom Electrical Wiring
- Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Lost Power to Part of Circuit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for Bathroom GFI Outlets||Wiring a Wemo Light Switch on a 3-way switch|