The Secret To Longer Lasting Light Bulbs
The Key To Long Lasting Light Bulbs – I have two recommendations that I’m sure will help your light bulbs last longer, and this should be considered whenever light bulbs are being installed on ceiling fans and in areas where there may be a level of any type of vibration.
How To Make Your Light Bulbs Last Longer
Electrical Question: I have a five 25 watt candle style bulbs in a chandelier with a dimmer switch, the Bulbs keeps burning out often, why is this happening?
This home electrical question came from: Carsom, a Homeowner from London.
Thanks for your home electrical lighting question Carsom.
The Key To Long Lasting Light Bulbs
- I have two recommendations that I’m sure will help your light bulbs last longer, and this should be considered whenever light bulbs are being installed on ceiling fans and in areas where there may be a level of any type of vibration.
- Vibrations will burn out light bulbs prematurely, especially if the light bulbs are being controlled by a dimmer switch.
- Adjusting the dimmer switch will in most cases cause the filament or the small wires inside the light bulb to vibrate rapidly.
- Often this vibration produces an audible noise especially at the lower levels of light.
Electrical Tip for Long Lasting Light Bulbs
- It all starts with the initial selection and purchase of the right light bulbs.
- I recommend purchasing a good brand name light bulb, especially one that has a guarantee, and by all means, if they blow out early, return the bulbs for a refund.
- Next, make sure the light bulbs are rated for Rough Duty, Rough Service or Extended Life.
- If you are buying light bulbs in the USA, these types of bulbs generally state that they are 130 Volt, and these light bulbs have a heavier filament which means they will last longer.
- The same applies to areas in the UK, just ask for a light bulb that is Heavy Duty or any of the terms mentioned above.
- You may notice that on the light bulb isle of your hardware store there will be light bulbs specifically for ceiling fans, and you will find that these light bulbs are rated for the higher wattage.
- These light bulbs have a heavier filament, so they are naturally recommended for ceiling fans due to the vibrations that are typically produced.
More about Light Fixtures and Light Bulbs:
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Light Bulbs Burn Out Often and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why a New 240 Volt Circuit Produces 120 Volts||Making Pigtails for Ground Wire Connections|