Replacing Outlets Without Ground Wires
How to Replace an Electrical Outlet When There is No Ground Wire: If the electrical box is metal then the ground wire should also be attached to the metal box using an approved grounding screw.
Ground Wires and Electrical Outlets
Electrical Question: I am updating my outlets to a different color and I noticed the ground wire was not used but just folded back on the outlet behind the refrigerator.
- I replace the outlet as planned and connected the ground wire.
- Is there any good reason to not use the ground wire, is it common practice
- Do you know why this was done?
This electrical wiring question came from: Larry, a Homeowner from New Albany, IN.
Additional Comments: Thanks for providing great information.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Larry.
How to Replace an Electrical Outlet When There is No Ground Wire
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- The ground wire should always be attached to the outlet and never just folded back into the box.
- If the electrical box is metal then the ground wire should also be attached to the metal box using an approved grounding screw.
- Where electrical wiring does not have a ground wire or a grounded metal box then a two wire outlet must be installed.
- Upgrading electrical wiring in older homes and installing grounded electrical circuit wiring is always recommended and encouraged.
More about Wiring Outlets
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done
Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of types of electrical wiring and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Wiring Plan
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and electrical wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Ungrounded Outlets electrical wiring, ground wire, grounded outlets, outlet ground wires, outlets without grounds, ungrounded outlets, upgrade wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.