Replacing a Dimmer With A Light Switch
How To Replace a Dimmer Switch with a Light Switch: Wiring a Light Switch to Replace a Dimmer Switch.
Dimmer Switch to a Light Switch
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I have a dimmer switch that needs replacing.
- Can I replace the dimmer switch with a single pole switch?
- The dimmer switch has a white, a red and a black wire coming into it.
- Can I replace the switch with the single switch using existing wires or do I have to replace with another dimmer switch?
- Thus converting the dimmer to a simple on and off switch?
- If yes, where should I connect the red, black and white wires on the single switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: Robert, a Homeowner from Dothan, Alabama.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Robert.
How To Replace a Dimmer Switch with a Light Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Wiring a Light Switch to Replace a Dimmer Switch
- You can replace the dimmer switch with a regular light switch, only from what you have described you need to install a 3-way light switch, not a single pole light switch.
- The typical connections are as follows:
- The black wire to the lone screw on the 3-way light switch.
- This is usually identified as the point or common and the screw is usually a darker color than the two screws at the other end of the switch.
- The red and white wires should be able to be placed on either of the remaining screws at the other end of the switch, one wire on each screw of course.
- Additional wiring diagrams can be found from the links below as well.
More about How to Wire a Light Switch
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Replacing a Dimmer Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Fix an In Rush Power Problem and Tripped Circuit Breaker||Hot Tub 4-Wire Circuit|