Recessed Light Conversion Kit and Task Lighting
Why Recessed Light Conversion Kits May Be Better than Installing New Light Fixtures: How to Convert a Light Fixture for More Light and Energy Savings.
Converting a Light Fixture for Energy Savings
Electrical Question: Will a recessed light conversion kit provide great light and also save on energy?
- I have installed a recessed light conversion kit.
- The kit socket called for a 60watt bulb with a candelabra base.
- When I turn it on the light output is dim and can not be used for task lighting.
- Is this a result of the candelabra bulb or is it the result of the conversion kit?
- I can get another conversion kit with a standard base for a standard 60W bulb but I don’t know if that will be any better than what I have now.
This home electrical wiring question came from: Mary, a Homeowner from Atlanta, Georgia.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Mary.
Installing a Recessed Light Conversion Kit
Application: Install a Light Conversion Kit.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester and a fiberglass ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the light circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit at the electrical panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the electric wiring and converting the recessed light.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Why Light Conversion Kits May Be Better than Installing a New Light Fixture
- Advances in technology have produced new light bulbs which offer increased light output and energy savings which can be very beneficial for our homes and offices.
- Many new replacement light bulbs are directly compatible with most traditional light sockets, however there are conversion kits available for certain types of light fixtures.
- Before selecting a conversion kit, determine the type of light that is desired for existing light fixtures, and then select the appropriate conversion kit which will be compatible with the light fixtures.
Quick Electrical Tip about Lighting Conversions
- Make sure your lighting fixtures, lamps, light bulbs, and components are compatible with dimmer switches or other control modules or switch devices.
- For best results, make sure the conversion kit is UL Approved.
- Reviewing Recessed Lighting Conversions
A light conversion kit may be a great option for the following reasons:
- Replacing an existing light fixture can be messy and may damage the finished paint and ceiling surface.
- The expense for a conversion may be less than a new light fixture.
- The time to convert a light fixture will be much faster than replacing the light fixture.
More about Recessed Lighting Projects
Installing Recessed Lighting Fixtures
How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Installing Home Lighting
Home Lighting Articles
- Home Lighting Articles covering
- Recessed lighting
- Under cabinet lighting
- Lighting terminology
Browse other questions about this topic:
Lighting 60watt, dimm recessed light, energy saving light, led conversion, light conversion kit, lighting retrofit, recessed light, recessed light conversion
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.