Recessed Light Conversion Kit and Task Lighting
Why Recessed Light Conversion Kits May Be Better than Installing New Light Fixtures: How to Convert a Light Fixture for More Light and Energy Savings.
Converting a Light Fixture for Energy Savings
Electrical Question: Will a recessed light conversion kit provide great light and also save on energy?
- I have installed a recessed light conversion kit.
- The kit socket called for a 60watt bulb with a candelabra base.
- When I turn it on the light output is dim and can not be used for task lighting.
- Is this a result of the candelabra bulb or is it the result of the conversion kit?
- I can get another conversion kit with a standard base for a standard 60W bulb but I don’t know if that will be any better than what I have now.
This home electrical wiring question came from: Mary, a Homeowner from Atlanta, Georgia.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Mary.
Installing a Recessed Light Conversion Kit
Application: Install a Light Conversion Kit.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester and a fiberglass ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the light circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit at the electrical panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the electric wiring and converting the recessed light.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Why Light Conversion Kits May Be Better than Installing a New Light Fixture
- Advances in technology have produced new light bulbs which offer increased light output and energy savings which can be very beneficial for our homes and offices.
- Many new replacement light bulbs are directly compatible with most traditional light sockets, however there are conversion kits available for certain types of light fixtures.
- Before selecting a conversion kit, determine the type of light that is desired for existing light fixtures, and then select the appropriate conversion kit which will be compatible with the light fixtures.
Quick Electrical Tip about Lighting Conversions
- Make sure your lighting fixtures, lamps, light bulbs, and components are compatible with dimmer switches or other control modules or switch devices.
- For best results, make sure the conversion kit is UL Approved.
- Reviewing Recessed Lighting Conversions
A light conversion kit may be a great option for the following reasons:
- Replacing an existing light fixture can be messy and may damage the finished paint and ceiling surface.
- The expense for a conversion may be less than a new light fixture.
- The time to convert a light fixture will be much faster than replacing the light fixture.
More about Recessed Lighting Projects
Installing Recessed Lighting Fixtures
How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Installing Home Lighting
Home Lighting Articles
- Home Lighting Articles covering
- Recessed lighting
- Under cabinet lighting
- Lighting terminology
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Your Apartment Electric Bill May Be High||What to do About a Tripping Circuit Breaker|