» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How to Wire a Range Cord
How is a Built In Electric Range and Oven Wired? Wiring a Range with an Oven, 3Wire and 4Wire Options.
Wiring a Built In Range or Oven
Electrical Question: How is a Built In Electric Range and Oven Wired?
- I have an electric range with a built in oven and I need help with the electric wiring.
- The home I’m working at has an older kitchen range with a 3wire outlet that has a red wire, black wire and a neutral wire.
- I have purchased a larger used oven and range that is setup for a 4wire connection with a red wire, black wire, white wire and a green wire, so there is no grounding strap.
- I was told that oven range combo will work by changing the outlet to 4wire outlet. Is that okay?
- If I change the oven range combo wiring to a 3wire setup can I make a grounding strap using 8 gauge wire with a flat U bend, or round terminals and install a 3wire cord?
This electrical question came from: Richard, a Property Manager from Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Richard.
How to Wire a Cord for Range with an Oven
Application: Wiring a the Cord for an Combo Range Oven.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt oven range cord.
Precaution: Identify the oven range circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the range cord wiring.
Notice: Wiring a range cord and making the range electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Range and Oven Unit 3Wire and 4Wire Options
The manufacturers installation manual must be consulted for the acceptable 3-wire or 4-wire configuration. The determination will be based upon the combo range oven requiring a dedicated neutral wire and ground wire. When installing a combo range oven unit check the required amperage and voltage and verify that the existing circuit has the same rating.
- If it is permitted by the manufacturer installation manual, it is best to use a 3wire outlet and cord, or a flex and wire assembly.
- Install an internal jumper wire from the frame to the neutral post as described in the installation manual, if it explains that the 3wire method is acceptable .
Following the first link below which will provide you with information which explains both the 3wire and 4wire options.
More about Wiring an Electric Range Cord
Wiring a Range
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
- Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3wire or 4wire electric range.
- Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Generator Cord||3Wire and 4Wire Kitchen Range and Stove Circuits|