Troubleshooting Problems with Electrical Outlets
The electrical power in my bedroom is off and none of the wall outlets work: How to Understand Outlet Polarity Testing, When using a outlet tester on the outlets it reads that the hot and ground are reversed.
Electric Outlets Do Not Work
Electrical Question: The electrical power in my bedroom is off and none of the wall outlets work.
- The circuit breaker has been changed as well as the outlets and switches.
- When using a outlet tester on the outlets it reads that the hot and ground are reversed.
- What could the problem be, the outlets do not work.
This electrical question came from: James, a Homeowner from Lynchburg, Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical repair question James.
How to Avoid Problems When Wiring Outlets
Application: Troubleshooting and Testing Outlets and Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs, the number of receptacle outlets that are affected and access to each location.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
What To Do When Wall Outlets Do Not Work
A plug in outlet tester can be very useful for testing the circuit wiring of an electrical outlet.
How to Understand Outlet Polarity Testing
- Voltage Readings
- James, the reading you are receiving from the outlet tester mean that the electrical wiring at the outlet is incorrect and that the hot wire and the ground wire are wired in reverse.
- Replacing Outlets
- When replacing outlets and switches care must be taken to keep the original wiring configuration, and to avoid bare ground wire contact with other wiring terminals.
- Incorrect Voltage Readings
- This presents a very hazardous situation and this circuit should be turned off immediately.
- Inspect Circuit Wiring
- The electrical wiring for these devices on this circuit should all be inspected and corrected as needed.
- Consult a Professional
- I highly recommend that you contact a licensed electrical contractor who will be able to correct this situation for you.
More about Wiring Wall Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Types of Electrical Testers
Understanding Electrical Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety.
- Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Testing a 240 Volt Dryer Circuit||How to Ground a Panel for a Detached Shop »|