Possible Causes for an Outlet Circuit not to Function
How to Repair a Faulty Outlet Circuit: An Outlet Circuit that Tests OK but still Does Not Work, Here are some reasons why an outlet may not work properly and what should be checked.
Electric Outlet Circuit Problem
Electrical Question: I have a problem with a few outlet that are not working.
- I have three outlets on a circuit. With my tester I get a reading of 120volt to ground and also between my hot and neutral.
- Nothing between ground and neutral of course. When I plug in my outlet tester, the test lights indicate that everything is working properly.
- When I plug in a nightlight or appliance, it doesn’t work, the same nightlight and appliance function properly in an outlet on another circuit.
- What could be the cause of a seemingly functioning outlet to not function when there is a load applied?
This electrical repairs question came from: Barbara, from Monterrey, California.
Thanks for your electrical repairs question Barbara.
How to Repair a Faulty Outlet Circuit
Application: Testing Faulty Outlets and Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs, the number of receptacle outlets that are affected and access to each location.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
An Outlet Circuit that Tests OK but still Does Not Work
Here are some reasons why an outlet may not work properly and what should be checked:
- The receptacle outlet is worn out and needs to be replaced.
- There is a short within the wiring of the circuit which is producing feedback voltage.
- The circuit is wired in the series method instead of the parallel method.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Using Electrical Testers
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Welder Plug Cables and Plug Adapters||How to Fix a Tripping GFI Outlet For a Refrigerator or Freezer »|