Outlet Wiring for Garage Freezers and Refrigerators
GFI Outlet Problems with Garage Freezers and Refrigerator and How to Fix Them: How to Wire a Garage Freezer or Refrigerator Outlet
GFI Outlet Problems with Garage Freezers and Refrigerator and How to Fix Them
Electrical Question: I have a garage outlet I want to use for a freezer.
- The outlet is a middle outlet protected by GFI.
- How can I wire this so that this outlet is not GFI protected, yet the downstream outlets will still be protected?
This electrical wiring question came from: Jim, a Homeowner from Woodland Park, Colorado.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jim.
Guide to Wiring Garage Outlets for Freezers and Refrigerators
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Hi Jim, I understand the problem because typically refrigerators and freezers can trip GFI outlets.
- According to the Electrical Code
- Refrigerators and freezers that are permanently located in the garage and are not movable are not required to be protected by GFI.
- The outlet may be a single outlet or the outlet may not be readily accessible.
How to Wire a Garage Freezer or Refrigerator Outlet
- The upstream GFI outlet should be wired so that the circuit wiring leading to the following outlets will not be protected by this first GFI.
- The middle outlet for the freezer can then be installed as a regular single outlet.
- The next outlet after the freezer outlet will need to be replaced with a new GFI outlet.
- If additional outlets are fed from this outlet, then the wiring leading to the following outlets will need to be wired trough the GFI outlet using the LINE and LOAD designations.
More about How to Wire GFCI Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring Diagrams forÂ GFI Outlets
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Outlet Wiring
How to Install Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Freezer Outlet freezer outlet, freezer outlet code, garage freezer outlet, gfi freezer outlet, wiring freezer outlet, wiring garage outlet, wiring non gfci
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.