Older Homes and Up To Standard Government Requirements
Electrical Wiring Improvements for Older Homes – I understand that there are increasing regulations to require more energy efficient building codes which require more efficient electrical equipment for new construction.
Standards for a More Energy Efficient Home
Electrical Question: How do I rewire a house that was built in 1970?
- I had the electrical system improved as follows:
- Outlets replaced
- GFCI’s put in the kitchen
- New lighting fixtures
- But I heard that before I can sell it the government said that any houses built in the 70’s has to pass an electrical test – that these houses have to be “up to standard”
Have you heard anything?
Thanks for your electrical question Susan.
Background: Susan, a Homeowner from Westerville, Ohio.
Electrical Wiring Improvements for Older Homes
- Susan, I have not heard of that specific “Up To Standard” electrical test.
- They may be referring to bring the home up to the most current electrical codes.
- I understand that there are increasing regulations to require more energy efficient building codes which require more efficient electrical equipment for new construction.
- These new standards are also applied when a home is being remodeled.
- I do see the value of upgrading a home to be more energy efficient which will hopefully increase the resale value, however the aspect of budget and payback must be realistically considered as well.
- I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information
that will assist you with your electrical question:
More about Rewiring a Home Electrical System
Rewiring a Home
- Great ideas for home electrical rewiring
- May add value to your home
- Bring it up to the current safety electrical codes
- More energy efficient standards
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering:
- AFCI circuits
- electrical boxes
- electrical circuits
- electrical outlets
- GFCI protection
- electrical wiring
- electrical system grounding
- electrical panels and services
- underground electrical
- and more.
Home Energy Savings
Home Energy Savings
- Here are some great ways to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Energy Savings Up To Standard 1970 home, electrical code, electrical code for house wiring, electrical system, electrical test, electrical wiring, energy efficient, old home wiring, rewire an older home, rewiring a home, up to standard
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.