Older Homes and Up To Standard Government Requirements
Electrical Wiring Improvements for Older Homes – I understand that there are increasing regulations to require more energy efficient building codes which require more efficient electrical equipment for new construction.
Standards for a More Energy Efficient Home
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How do I rewire a house that was built in 1970?
- I had the electrical system improved as follows:
- Outlets replaced
- GFCI’s put in the kitchen
- New lighting fixtures
- But I heard that before I can sell it the government said that any houses built in the 70’s has to pass an electrical test – that these houses have to be “up to standard”
Have you heard anything?
Thanks for your electrical question Susan.
Background: Susan, a Homeowner from Westerville, Ohio.
Electrical Wiring Improvements for Older Homes
- Susan, I have not heard of that specific “Up To Standard” electrical test.
- They may be referring to bring the home up to the most current electrical codes.
- I understand that there are increasing regulations to require more energy efficient building codes which require more efficient electrical equipment for new construction.
- These new standards are also applied when a home is being remodeled.
- I do see the value of upgrading a home to be more energy efficient which will hopefully increase the resale value, however the aspect of budget and payback must be realistically considered as well.
- I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information
that will assist you with your electrical question:
More about Rewiring a Home Electrical System
Rewiring a Home
- Great ideas for home electrical rewiring
- May add value to your home
- Bring it up to the current safety electrical codes
- More energy efficient standards
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering:
- AFCI circuits
- electrical boxes
- electrical circuits
- electrical outlets
- GFCI protection
- electrical wiring
- electrical system grounding
- electrical panels and services
- underground electrical
- and more.
Home Energy Savings
Home Energy Savings
- Here are some great ways to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Energy Savings, Up To Standard and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Dimmer Switches for Ceiling Fans||Checklist For Identifying Why Outlets Stop Working|