Methods for Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting
What type of wire should I use when installing direct wired LED Under cabinet lights? The Basics of Wiring Under Cabinet Light Fixtures: Question.
Wire Size for Installing Under Cabinet Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: What type of wire should I use when installing direct wired LED Under cabinet lights?
I am installing direct wired LED Under cabinet light bars in my kitchen.
- I installed greenfield metallic conduit behind the drywall into the receptacle boxes on the counter top.
- Run length from the box to the fixture is about 18 inches.
- My question is: What wire gauge do I use to come from the box to the under cabinet fixture for the final wiring?
- I am guessing 14 gauge is OK. Am I correct or should I use 12 gauge?
This electrical wiring question came from Tom, in West Chicago, Illinois.
Additional Comments: Great source of information.
Dave the Electrician’s Answer:
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Tom.
Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting
Application: Electrical Wiring for Under Cabinet Lighting Fixtures.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools, drill motor and drill bits, and Voltage Tester.
Typical Materials Required: Type NM Cable, BX or Greenfield Flex, or the same type and gauge cable as the existing light circuit cable, staples for securing the cable.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, access to the circuit wiring and project area, and experience working with the circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel circuit of the power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or wiring under cabinet lighting and installing electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Basics of Wiring Under Cabinet Light Fixtures
- Under cabinet light fixtures are a great addition for any kitchen counter top, and the selection of lighting fixtures offer many different types of light that can be produced including great light from LED under cabinet light fixtures.
- What ever type of light fixture you select, the main 120 volt electrical wiring must be installed using approved methods and parts.
- As with this question, when connecting the under cabinet lighting to an existing power source such as a receptacle outlet, the wire type and size should be the same as the circuit wiring found at the receptacle outlet in order to maintain circuit integrity.
More about Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting
Under cabinet lighting will blend well with other lighting and provide a soft level of light to enhance your kitchen counter tops and will balance the kitchen lighting and help to lighten up dark corners.
Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Where Can I Find 14Gauge Glass Wrapped Wiring?||Electrical Circuit for a Tanning Bed »|