Locating and Installing Pot Lights
Guidelines for Installing Pot Lights: Locating and positioning recessed pot lights will depend on a few factors as described here, you should begin with the end in mind, That is what “look and feel” would you like? Once this decision is made then you can take these other factors into consideration.
Considerations for Locating Recessed Pot Lights
Electrical Question: My contractor is moving some pot lights in my living room because we’ve had a bookcase built along one whole wall which is 14 ft. long.
- I want to put smaller lights in replacement of old lights.
- Want to wash the entire front of the bookcase with light.
- I also want to put 2 separate lights to light 1 oil painting and another painting but it’s behind glass.
- I really appreciate your assistance.
- Also how far from the wall for both applications?
This electrical wiring question came from: Michael, a Homeowner from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
See more about Home Wiring for Louisiana
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Michael.
Guidelines for Installing Recessed Can and Pot Lights
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Locating and Positioning Recessed Pot Lights will depend on a few factors as described here:
- Size and type of light fixture.
- The light bulb type and watts or illumination light output.
- Height and depth of the bookcase with respect to the ceiling.
- Type of light trim that will be installed on the recessed pot light fixtures.
- Trim types are many including straight down and directional eyeball types.
- Safe distance proximity away from flammable materials.
- What is your desired effect, and will a dimmer be used to control, the level of light.
- Will this lighting be used to dominate or showcase an area of the room, blend in, or would you like a subtle accent appearance.
- And last but not least, locate and identify any ceiling joists and other obstacles above the ceiling that may interfere with the actual installation of the proposed light fixture housing, and pay attention top the type of insulation codes that may apply to your area.
So to sum it up, you should begin with the end in mind, That is what “look and feel” would you like? Once this decision is made then you can take these other factors into consideration.
Finally you will be able to go shopping to select the right light fixtures, lamps and trims.
Alternative and Complimentary Types of Light Fixtures To Consider
- Puck Lights which are great for cabinet lighting due to their small size and great light output.
- Rope Lighting which have a low profile which allows a lot of location flexibilities without proximity and heat restrictions that are found with some other types of light fixtures.
NOTE: Pot Lights have nothing to do with growing an illegal substance, it is simply one of the names referred to Recessed Lights. Other names are Can Lights, Halo, Capri etc. , however some of these types of lights provide great lighting for indoor plants of various varieties.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
How To Install Recessed Lighting
Installing recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Electrical Contractor Directory
Locate an electrical contractor near you.
You identified your project to be about Light Switch Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Can Light, Electrical Wiring, Lighting, Pot Lights, Recessed Can Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Tanning Bed 220 Volt Electrical Wiring||Why Do I Have Lower Voltage Readings?|