Light Fixture Problem with a Porch Light
Ron in Louisiana asks: Replacing ceiling porch light fixtures with Westinghouse flush mount model 66919. The old fixtures are on a one way switch and are operable.
Problem with a Ceiling Light
Electrical Question: I have replaced a light fixture but it does not work.
- Replacing ceiling porch light fixtures with Westinghouse flush mount model 66919. The old fixtures are on a one way switch and are operable. There are three fixtures on this circuit.
- I attempted to change the first fixture and when it was installed, it did not work but the two remaining old fixtures still lit up. I checked the bulb in the inoperable fixture and it was good.
- I took the first new fixture down, capped the wires in the ceiling box and went to the next old fixture. I repeated the process and when the new fixture was wired into the ceiling box, I flipped the switch on and the light failed again but the remaining third old fixture lit up.
- I then took the new fixture down again, plugged the wires into a wall outlet and the light came on. Because I didn’t have a multimeter, I took a hair dryer and and contacted the two prongs on the cord plug to the two bare wires in the second ceiling box and the device fired right up.
- I am completely stumped as to why I have a good circuit in the ceiling box, a new fixture the operates on a different circuit but does not work on the porch light circuit.
This electrical wiring question came from Ron, a Homeowner in Springfield, Louisiana.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ron.
How to Fix a Problem with a Ceiling Light Fixture
Application: Replacing a Ceiling Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Ceiling Light, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Ceiling Light should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Springfield, Louisiana. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Repairing a Front Porch Ceiling Light Fixture
This electrical wiring project is about a Ceiling Light in the Front Porch of a Old Home.
Ceiling Light Fixture Problem
- From what has been described, there may be an existing problem with the electrical wiring at the first light fixture box that prevents the light fixture from working.
- There is a possibility that the wiring that leads to this light fixture has been disconnected somewhere within the electrical circuit wiring.
- The locations to check would be the other light fixture boxes, any junction boxes within the circuit, or the box where the light switch is located.
- Another possibility it that the porch light is controlled by a different light switch, and is not part of the other light fixtures.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Light
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Troubleshooting Electrical Problems
Home Electrical Troubleshooting and Repairs
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Our Water Heater is Not Working||GFCI Circuit Breaker for 240Volt Beer Keg Cleaning Equipment »|