Kitchen Light Fixture Wiring
How to Connect the Wire When Replacing a Light Fixture that has Multiple Cables and Wires.
Electrical Connections for a Kitchen Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I am replacing a ceiling light fixture in my kitchen.
- The new fixture has holes to push the wires into, however the junction box has more wires than expected.
- There are three cables coming into the box – all the black and white wires are nutted together.
- There is a red wire and ground copper wire loose.
- Which white wire can I use to insert into the new fixtures mount or do I attach a new white to the bundle and use the other end into the mount?
This electrical question came from: Kass, a Homeowner from Mohnton, PA.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kass.
How to Connect Light Fixture Wires
Application: Wiring a Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
How to Make the Right Wiring Connections When Replacing a Light Fixture that has Multiple Cables and Wires
Kass, from what you are explaining about the electrical wiring that is found in the fixture box, you are correct, however using a voltage tester would verify the actual connections.
- Connecting one or more of the light fixture wires with the appropriate power, neutral and ground wires inside the ceiling electrical junction box is acceptable.
- When replacing a light fixture it is best to work with the wiring that was connected to the original light fixture and not disturb other wiring connections.
- Light fixture boxes may have additional cables and wires which could be the power source and wires that are used for switching and if these connections are disturbed then a tester combined with an understanding of lighting circuits will need to be used to identify what the function of each wire truly is.
Using electrical testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Light Switch Wiring Diagrams
Wiring a Light Switch
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Kitchen Electrical Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic kitchen electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
|« Should You Upgrade a Federal Pacific Stab Lok Panel||Replacing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.