Is Your Electric Clothes Dryer Shocking You?
Why am I getting shocked by my electric dryer? How to Check a Dryer Electric Circuit, Troubleshooting Dryer Electrical Wiring Connections.
Faulty Electric Dryer Connections May Cause Dangerous Shocks!
Electrical Question: Why am I getting shocked by my electric dryer?
- I have a 3 prong dryer outlet and I connected it but when I plug in the dryer it shocks me when I touch it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Michael, a Handyman in California.
Additional Comments: This website is very helpful for people like me, Thank You.
Thanks for your electrical safety question Michael.
This question describes a very dangerous condition that needs to be corrected right away.
How to Check a Dryer Circuit for a Wiring Problem
Application: Testing 240 Volt Dryer Circuit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before making inspections or wiring modifications.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor
Troubleshooting Dryer Electrical Wiring Connections
- Michael, the dryer circuit should be turned off, and unplugged.
- The wiring connections will need to be checked and verified.
- From what you have described the wiring connections are incorrect and most likely two wires are reversed where one of the hot wires is sending power to the ground or the frame of the dryer.
- This is very dangerous and needs to be corrected right away.
- If you are not sure of what you are doing then please call a qualified electrician.
- Until the wiring is corrected the electrical circuit to the dryer should remain off and the dryer should be unplugged.
More about Wiring a Clothes Dryer
Electrical Wiring for a Clothes Dryer
Wiring a Dryer
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Shocks From Dryer and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Heat Pump Problems and Electrical Power||Is Your Electrical Wiring the Right Type|