» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Installing X-10 Controls For Lighting
I have a single light switch that controls 10 – F40T12 drop in 4 bulb fluorescent light fixtures.
Can I Use a Wireless Remote Switch to Control My Lights?
Background: Michael, a Homeowner from Drumright, OK.
[ad#block]Question: I have a single light switch that controls 10 – F40T12 drop in 4 bulb fluorescent light fixtures that, due to a large piece of furniture placed in front of the switch, I cannot easily access it anymore.
- I am wanting to install a wireless remote toggle switch to control these lights.
- I want on or off only, no dimmer needed, but would like to control them from 2 separate locations, front & back (3-way?).
- I have looked on the web, but am overwhelmed with different products & am not sure what I need. Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Additional Comments: Looks great! Hope it works!
Application: Installing Controls For Lighting.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Thanks for your electrical question Michael.
Installing Smart Switches or Home Automation
- I have instructed Michael to consider installing Smart Switches or Home Automation devices for this application.
- Specifically a addressable Control Module for the light fixtures and two 3-way addressable switches, one slave and one master.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about X-10 and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Power and Panel Board Ratings||Grounding Method For Sub-Panel Circuit|