Installing Surface Mount Wall Outlets
What kind of surface conduit can I use to run power from a wall outlet to a light fixture? Installing Surface Electrical Conduit for Wiring a 120Volt Outlet and Light Fixture.
Electrical Wiring for Wall Outlets
[ad#block]Electrical Question: What kind of surface conduit can I use to run power from a wall outlet to a light fixture?
I would like to retrofit an overhead light by using some type of conduit from one of the room wall outlets that is pointless to use since what ever that is plugged into it will get in the way since the area is a traffic area.
- We currently have drop ceiling and I do not want to go busting the ceiling to look for electrical wiring.
- I’ve heard about surface mounted conduits and electrical wiring raceways which will be able to fit 14-2 wire which doesn’t stick out as much as metal or heat flex conduit.
- I would like your opinion is this will pass the electrical code if this is attached to an extension box which will have an outlet and will but running vertically up the wall and half way will be a switch and then continue to run up the wall through the drop ceiling and then have an elbow to run the raceway on the ceiling and then having an electrical box so that the type of lighting that we need can be wired in.
This home electrical question came from: Ken, a Handyman in Canada.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Ken.
How to Wire Electrical Outlets
Application: Wiring a 120Volt Outlet and Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be added and the access to the location for the new outlets.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture and outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
Installing Surface Electrical Conduit for Wall Outlets
- Surface mounted UL approved raceway or electrical grade surface conduit is a great way to install addition wiring when there is limited or no access to install concealed wiring.
- Extension boxes provide access to an existing circuit which may be extended if the circuit has enough capacity for the devices being added.
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring for:
- 110 volt electrical outlets
- 220 volt outlets and receptacles
- common electrical wiring found in every home
See how wiring electrical outlets for the homes is wired and installed.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electric Code
Electrical Code Articles
Electrical Code Directory
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Surface Mounted Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Repair Signal Loss for a Dish Network TV||How to Install a Flush Mount Dryer Outlet|