Installing Outlets Ground Up or Down
Why Electrical Outlets May Be Positioned With The Ground Up or Down and Which Way is the Right Way
Should Outlets Have the Ground Up or Down
Electrical Question: Some electricians install plugs with the ground down and some with ground up, what is the right way?
- I have always install them with ground down, is that the right way.
- Electrical Debate in “Longlac Ontario”. Please help.
This electrical question came from: Florian, an electrician from Longlac Ontario, Canada.
Additional Comments: I like it very much to answer these type of question.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Florian.
Electrical Outlets Can Be Positioned With The Ground Up or Down
- As far as I know there is no electrical code that requires a receptacle to be installed with the ground up or the ground down.
- I will point out that having the ground up is much safer and could avoid an accidental occurrence where a thin metallic object could slide into the exposed hot and neutral prongs and cause an electrical flash and possible electrical shock, which I have witnessed first hand.
- I might add that while I performed electrical installations in a hospital facility for nine years all the new receptacles were installed with the ground up.
More about Wiring Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Home Electrical Code
Electrical Codes that cover electric outlets and electrical wiring methods.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Troubleshooting Outlets and Lights that Do Not Work||Garbage Disposal Electrical Wiring Diagram »|