Installing Exterior Recessed Lights
Is it a good idea to install exterior recessed lights while a new home is being built? The Best Time to Install Exterior Recessed Lights.
Exterior Recessed Lights
Electrical Question: Is it a good idea to install exterior recessed lights while a new home is being built?
- I’m having a new home built and I love the look of exterior recessed lighting in the soffits.
- I’m trying to keep costs down, and since the builder is charging over 300 per light, that’s probably going to be an upgrade for down the road.
- With regards to the electrical, does it make sense to pay for one light through the builder. I’m thinking this way the wires will be fed to the attic and the switch will be in place.
- An electrician would just need to run the additional lights off that first light, saving time and money right?
Is that possible? Does it work that way?
This electrical wiring question came from Lily, in Milton, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lily.
Installing Exterior Recessed Lights in a New Home
Application: Install Exterior Recessed Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best Installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Tool Pouch of Electrical Tools, and Voltage Tester, Fiberglass Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience working with electrical wiring, the number of lights that will be replaced or installed and access to the structure for the recessed light fixtures.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the electrical wiring and light fixture connections.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for exterior recessed lighting should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Best Time to Install Exterior Recessed Lights
- The Cost to Install Recessed Lights, Now or Later
- Having the wires installed into the attic and the switch box while the home is being built now will definitely reduce the cost of installing the rest of the lights.
- In the future, an electrician would need to extend the wiring for the additional lights off the first light, and although this sounds easy, please understand that once the framing of the home is closed up it will take about twice the time if not longer to install the remaining recessed lights later on.
- Keep in mind that the access to the project area will be more difficult for installing the wiring and dealing with unseen obstacles which are wide open and visible now while the home is being built.
More about Installing Exterior Recessed Lights
Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring Diagrams for Light Switches
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for Recessed Lights
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for recessed lighting with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Planning and Installing Recessed Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Lighting Electrical Codes
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring Exterior Lighting Lighting New Home Wiring Recessed Can Light cost to install recessed lights, exterior recessed lights, exterior soffit lights, install recessed lights, wiring recessed lights
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.