Installing a Tankless Water Heater Circuit
Alex in New Jersey asks; How can I install a tankless water heater which requires an electric circuit? How to Wire a Tank Less Water Heater, Electrical Wiring and Circuit Requirements for a Tank less Water Heater.
Guide to Installing Power for a Tank Less Water Heater
Electrical Question: I want to install a tankless water heater which requires an electric circuit.
- My main electrical service is 200 amp.
- I have a single 2-pole 60 amp going to my my sub-panel.
- Currently I have a single 2-pole 40 amp circuit going to electric range oven.
- I do have plenty of spare empty slots in the sub panel.
- The wire going to sub panel is 6-3 Romex.
- Here is my main electrical question about the Tankless Water Heater:
- I want to replace my old water heater with tankless one that requires two 2-pole 40-amp breakers or other model calls for single 2 pole 60 amp.
- What are my options?
- The range oven has to stay.
- I can not bring new wires to the sub panel because it is 50 feet to the main panel.
- Everything in the house is finished.
Please help before purchase. Thank you.
This electrical question came from: Alex, a Handyman from Flemington New Jersey.
Additional Comments: Great help!
Thanks for your electrical question Alex.
How to Wire a Tank Less Water Heater
Application: Installing a 240 Volt Circuit for a Tankless Water Heater.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord as required for installing the circuit cable.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the method used for install the 240 volt circuit wiring.
Precaution: Working in electrical panels is not recommended for homeowners. Before making the circuit wiring connections identify the circuit in the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before making the terminations.
Notice: Installing additional electric circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Electrical Wiring and Circuit Requirements for a Tank less Water Heater
- A tankless water heater will require a dedicated circuit as specified by the installation manual of the unit that has been selected.
- If you need additional space in the panel for the circuit breaker then a quad circuit breaker may be allowed as specified by the make and model of the panel.
- You may also install twin circuit breakers to replace the existing full size circuit breakers which will create the space for the new circuit as well as long as the type of electric panel you have supports twin or tandem circuit breakers.
More about Electrical Circuit Wiring for a Tank less Water Heater
Home Electrical Sub Panel
Sub-Panel Electrical Wiring for the Home
- Electrical Sub-Panel wiring considerations for the home complete with pictures.
- Careful planning for your Sub-Panel with immediate and future load considerations will help you understand how to size your Sub-Panel.
- This information will help as you consider a Sub-Panel and its size.
Home Electric Panel
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt
- House wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed
- Identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes
Electrical Circuit Breaker
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device
Home Electrical Wire and Cable
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical System Wiring
Home Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Tankless Water Heater and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What To Do If Your Home Electrical Circuits Are Not Grounded||How To Use Electrical Testers and Meters|