Install an Attic Exhaust Fan to Help Cool Your Home
I want to install attic fans to help cool my house and reduce my electric bill, what do you recommend? Here are some considerations when Selecting and Installing an Exhaust Fan to Help Cool Your Attic and Your Home.
Solar Powered Attic Exhaust Fan
Electrical Question: I want to install attic fans to help cool my house and reduce my electric bill, what do you recommend?
- I want to install attic fans in a large house that has many small pitched roof sections.
- The roof is concrete tile.
- The pitch of the roof is maybe 3/12 and eves vents are only on the outside of this horseshoe shaped ranch house so there may not be a lot of incoming air.
- Can you recommend a good roof fan.
This electrical wiring question came from Nancy, in Chula Vista, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Nancy. Here are some considerations when selecting and installing an exhaust fan to help cool your attic and your home.
Attic Exhaust Fans Can Help Cool Your Home
- How a Attic Exhaust Fans Can Help Cool Your Home
- The direct exposure of the roof of the home facing the sun causes the attic space of the home to heat up just like an oven.
- Unfortunately, most attics are not well ventilated so there is very little air movement.
- This causes the trapped air inside the attic to get very hot, therefore the heat of the attic radiated down into the home causing the home temperature to raise.
The Economic and Environmental Benefits of a Solar Powered Exhaust Fan
- How a Solar Exhaust Fan Will Help Save You Money and Be Earth Friendly
- The cost of a solar exhaust fan unit is very close to the cost of a conventional attic exhaust fan.
- The installation for both of the exhaust fan units is basically the same.
- A solar powered exhaust fan does does not require electrical circuit wiring because the unit comes with a PV Photo Voltaic solar panel that produces it’s own power from the sun.
- The self powered solar exhaust fan does not use electricity, so it’s basically green energy which is free power.
- A cooler attic means a cooler home, therefore an air conditioner will run less which will help reduce your electric bill.
- Reduction in carbon footprint using green renewable energy. Choosing solar power is environmentally friendly and helps reduce carbon emissions that may be generated during the production of conventional electricity.
- Consider Installing One or More Solar Powered Exhaust Fans
- The number of exhaust fans will depend on the size of the home and the type of attic space and construction characteristics.
See more about Selecting a Solar Exhaust Fan
Two Types of Exhaust Fans to Help Cool the Attic
- Roof Mounted Solar Exhaust Fan
- Solar powered exhaust fans are a environmentally sensible solution that can protect your home and save you money on your energy bill.
- Roof mounted solar exhaust fans mount onto the surface area of the roof after an opening is made to allow the hot attic air to be exhausted.
- The solar panel is attached to the top portion of the exhaust fan and directed towards the sun to provide power for the unit.
- Follow the instructions as provided with the specific exhaust fan that you purchase to ensure proper location, operation and weather proofing of the roofing materials.
See More about Roof Mounted Solar Powered Exhaust Fans
- Gable Mounted Solar Exhaust Fan
- A gable mounted solar exhaust fan is typically mounted over the gable vent which is located at either end of the home attic.
- The solar panel is mounted onto the roof in an area where it will receive the most sun exposure.
- The low voltage wiring will connect the solar panel to the gable mounted fan to power the unit.
More about Gable Mounted Solar Powered Exhaust Fans
- No Wiring Needed for Solar Exhaust Fans
- Most Solar Exhaust Fans are east to install, and they are shipped fully operational right from the box.
- No electrical wiring is required, and no expensive electrician or permits are needed. Detailed installation instructions are provided with each unit.
See More about How to Install a Solar Exhaust Fan
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about attic exhaust fan, Solar and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Plan Electrical Circuits for a Home||What to do with Unused Electrical Circuit Wiring|