How to Wire Dimmer Switches and Light Fixtures
How do I wire a dimmer switch for a new light fixture? How to Connect Wires for Dimmer Switches and Light Fixtures.
How to Add a New Light Fixture to a Dimmer Switch
Electrical Question: How do I wire a dimmer switch for a new light fixture?
- I have lights that are controlled by different switches and I am adding a new light fixture, which wires need to be connected together to work the new light?
- I have a string of down lights (5) in my kitchen that are controlled by three different switches (Two on/off switches and one dimmer).
- I want to add one more light to the end of the string that is connected to a dimmer.
- Going into the dimmer is two set of wires with a black and a white and one with a black, red and a white.
- I added a junction box where the new light will be to connect to the new light.
- My question is which wires need to be connected together to work the new light?
This electrical wiring question came from: George, from Potomac, Maryland.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question George
How to Connect Wires for Dimmer Switches and Light Fixtures
Application: Replacing Dimmer Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dimmer switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement dimmer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used. The dimmer switch must be rated for the amount of watts that will be controlled.
Electrical Wiring for Dimmer Switches and Light Fixtures
- When adding an additional light fixture it is best to extend the wiring from one of the existing light fixtures and not the switch box.
- Trying to wire a new light fixture from one of the light switches or the dimmer switch may be very confusing and may not work at all.
- Understand that the required neutral wire for the light fixture may not always be available at the light switch or dimmer switch.
More about Wiring a Dimmer Switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring||How to Wire a Ceiling Fan to the Ceiling Box »|