How To Wire a Switched Outlet
How to Get Power to a Switched Outlet: Switched Outlet Wiring Diagrams.
Switched Outlet Circuit Wiring
Electrical Question: I am having a problem wiring a switched outlet.
- I am trying to get power to a switched outlet.
- I have a sub panel in my garage with a double breaker 100A each for the main, one black and one red and then white goes to neutral and ground goes to a separate grounding strip.
- I have a 20amp single breaker with the black wire connected and ground to the grounding strip and white to the neutral strip.
- The on and off switch has the white wire on top and the black on bottom, ground wire is connected onto the ground screw.
- To the outlet I have white wire on silver and black wire on brass screw. Ground is on the ground screw.
- When I turn power on it is OK, and then if I switch the on and off switch on or off it makes the 20amp circuit breaker trip and spark.
Hopefully I made sense. Can you help me?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ed, a Homeowner from Grand Junction, Colorado.
Additional Comments: Just a description would help as well.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ed.
How to Get Power to a Switched Outlet
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the outlet panel circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical circuit wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring a Switched Outlet
- From what you have described, you may be bring the neutral into the wiring of the switch loop, where all you need to do is switch the hot side of the circuit.
- If the neutral is brought into the switching process then you will be creating a direct short which will trip the circuit breaker.
More about Wiring a Switched Outlet
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
How to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Browse other questions about this topic:
Outlets Switched Outlet electrical outlets, how to electrical wiring, outlet, switch, switched outlet, wiring, wiring diagram, wiring switched outlet
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.