How to Wire a Honeywell Thermostat
How do I connect the wires for a heater thermostat? Wiring Instruction Heating Thermostat, Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning.
Wiring Guide for a Honeywell Thermostat
Electrical Question #1: How do I connect the wires for a heater thermostat?
- I bought a Honeywell Heating thermostat. There were no directions about how to wire it.
- How come there were no wires coming out of the back of the thermostat?
- I need to know where to connect the thermostat wires from the wall.
- This is a round thermostat with a dial on it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Pamela, a Handy woman from Brockton, Massachusetts.
Additional Comments: Great!
Electrical Question #2: How is a Honeywell Thermostat wired?
- I am trying to rewire a 5 wire Honeywell thermostat. The wires are blue,green,white,orange and red. How are these wires connected?
This electrical wiring question came from Christie in Phoenix, Arizona.
Thank you for your electrical wiring questions.
Wiring Instructions for a Honeywell Heating Thermostat
Application: Wiring a Honeywell Thermostat.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the furnace or air conditioning circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning
- The model number of the Honeywell thermostat was not provided, however here are the typical wiring assignments for a conventional heating system.
- Keep in mind that there should be a low voltage cable in the wall where the thermostat is located which has individual wires as shown in the instructions below.
Terminal Label – Wire Color – Function /Description
- R – Red Wire – 24 Volts.
- B – Blue Wire – Cooling.
- G – Green Wire or Grey Wire * – Fan Blower.
- W – White White – Heating.
Although many home heating and air conditioning systems have a standard type thermostat cable with color coded wires, the wires should be identified to make sure of the exact purpose for each wire.
More about Wiring a Thermostat
- Connecting the Wires on a Thermostat
- Replacing a thermostat can be tricky because of the variety of colors of the electrical wiring used for to control the unit.
More about Thermostat Wiring
- Electrical Wiring for a Honeywell Thermostat
- Electrical Wiring Question Replacing Honeywell t6160 room stat (Mains, 3-wire)with Horstmann DRT2(Battery operated, 2-wire).
More about Replacing Honeywell Thermostat
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Thermostat Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Stop Smoke Detector False Alarms Once and For All||Off-Grid Power Systems and Surge Protection|